Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 7 Jul 2002 13:30:57 -0400
From:         SpaceKommander <jboldway@BEE.NET>
Subject:      Westy roof rack installation tips

Hello, just got done installing a Thule roof rack on my Westy "Panzerkampingwagen." Took a little over 2 hours. Thule rack parts used: 542 artificial rain gutter, 300 feet, 58"? bars, 877 rollercoaster (kayak), 875 hydroglide (kayak), locks, front wheel holder, and a fork mount long tray bike carrier sold to be at a good deal by a fellow list member. First, some thoughts about what should go where. The Westy is a tall vehicle and the trees offer lower clearance on the right hand side of the road, so the Kayak mounts went on the passenger side and the bikes on the driver's side. You will need a fold-up stool to get the bikes on top anyway - standing in the open side door won't help load the bikes. Tools needed: 5mm allen wrench (for bike tray), grease for threads, drill bits, drill, locktite, ratcheting box end 10mm wrench (a MUST) - found at Sears. After doing this install I'd recommend getting 1/2" shorter carriage bolts for the artificial gutters, or if nothing metric is available switching to English and getting the appropriate nylock nuts and ratcheting box end driver. The carriage bolts supplied are so long it took aproximately 90 1/4 ~ 1/3 turns of the ratcheting wrench for each nut (8 total). A non-ratcheting wrench would take FOREVER to install the nylock nuts. I wedged a 2" wastebasket between the top and the front locking latch to partially raise the top to gain access to the bolts/nuts. I positioned the artificial gutters up as high as possible so the top of the gutter mount was just under the radius of the fiberglass top. Be careful drilling the holes as you only want the drill bit to just penetrate the top - if you just force the bit in to the fiberglass then let it plunge in it will drill a hole in your canvas top! After drilling the holes I applied locktite to the interior of the holes to seal the fiberglass and hopefully prevent cracks from starting. Make sure you position the front load bar far enough behind the skylight that the rack accessories don't protrude forward of the load bar and interfere with the skylight operation.