Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 1 Jul 2002 22:52:54 +0200
From:         Robert Steven Fish <fish@SALZBURG.CO.AT>
Subject:      Re: Rough Idle after replaced heads/piston rings... 91 Carrat
Comments: To: Shane Eddy <oscar88@COMCAST.NET>

I had a nasty rough idle after doing a bunch of engine work. I would work on the Vanagon every weekend for a few months... and as I was putting everything together, finally, I screwed up and switched the plug wires on the passenger side (meaning right side USA models) which made a real nasty "timing problem".

Crazy thing was that the Vanagon did run, but within about 15-20 minutes the catalytic converter started to glow red... and I turned things off and began troubleshooting.

Of course, your mechanic is more qualified than to switch the plug wires like an amateur shade-tree mechanic like me... right?

Good Luck!

RSF

Robert S. Fish Salzburg, Austria 1987 Wolfsburg Vanagon 2.1 GL Weekender 1987 Golf Cabriolet 1991 Golf

----- Original Message ----- From: "Shane Eddy" <oscar88@COMCAST.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Monday, July 01, 2002 8:51 PM Subject: Rough Idle after replaced heads/piston rings... 91 Carrat