Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 1 Jul 2002 14:39:03 -0700
From:         David Marshall <vanagon@VOLKSWAGEN.ORG>
Subject:      Re: Max Engine Oil Temperatures
Comments: To: FrankGRUN@AOL.COM

Thanks for the information Frank I have a few more questions for you.

I spent an hour last night looking at all the different oils available in Canada (non-mail order) to see which meets the VW 505 00 spec for the TDI engines. I did the following lubricant companies.

Petro-Canada Shell Esso / Mobile 1 Castrol

The only company that listed VW 505 00 was Mobile 1 with their 0W40 oil. None of the other companies listed anything that was 501 00 or 505 00 - strange as doesn't Castrol make the oil for Volkswagen for the TDIs? Castrol Germany's web site shows all sorts of oils that are 505 00 compliant and even higher - none of these oils are available in Canada. Esso Germany also shows some of their conventional oils meeting 505 00 specs - again not available in Canada.

The local Petro-Canada distributor says that their Duron 15w40 conventional oil (API CH-4 compliant) and meets all of the North American Diesel engine manufactures specs. The Canadian Military uses this stuff in all of their vehicles including the German made Leopard tanks!

What is your thoughts on Diesel motor oil? From what I understand a Diesel is a lot more demanding than a gasoline motor due to soot build-up and other corrosive by-products of the Diesel combustion.

David Marshall

Fast Forward Automotive Inc. 4356 Quesnel Hixon Road Quesnel BC Canada V2J 6Z3

http://www.fastforward.ca mailto:sales@fastforward.ca Phone: (250) 992 7775 FAX: (250) 992 1160

- Vanagon Accessories and Engine Conversions - Vanagon, Transporter and Iltis Sales and Importation - European Lighting for most Volkswagen models

As I've indicated on the list in the past, the whole issue of motor oil operating temperatures and the use of synthetic vs. conventional oil is a very involved subject. I hope all of you know my predilection to data and measurements as opposed to hearsay passed on as wisdom. There are many myths about synthetics and I've tried to address a few recently. For those who want an excellent introduction to the experimental facts, I highly recommend the Redline website. Specifically:

http://www.redlineoil.com/products.htm.

There are several key issues here including the design of the engine, the cooling system and the lubrication system. I'll only address the oil characteristics here. The maximum operating temperature for a lubricating oil is limited by the flash point, the change in viscosity (loss of lower molecular weight fragments and oxidatively induced polymerization - sludge formation) and the degradation of additives.

The flash point is a reported number for nearly any oil brand (required for the MSDS sheets). This is largely given by loss of low molecular weight fragments. For conventional oils this number is around 200 - 210 C depending on the exact nature of the base stock. For synthetics, this number is between 240 and 270 C. So first take home lesson ... synthetics have higher thermal stability than conventionals.

The next question is the change of viscosity and film strength with increasing temperature. Now, as nicely detailed on the Redline site, is turns out that the applied pressure across a thin film of oil causes a major change in the film viscosity. That is, the effective viscosity of the oil in the sump at 275F is nowhere the same as that viscosity in the con rod or main bearing shell (where the oil is doing a high pressure standoff!). A so called 50 weight oil can have a real film strength of a 20 weight oil under these conditions. In all cases, this load induced reduction in viscosity is greater for conventional oils than for synthetics.

The oxidation onset comes on very quickly as the temperature is increased. Simple oxidation of the oil increases the viscosity, generates abrasive particulates and leads to a number of complex processes that create tar and sludge. All oils have additives to combat the effect, but the additives actually scavenge the decomposition intermediates from the oil - not the oxygen. The additive package to control oxidation and maintain film strength for conventional oils can be consumed in less than 1000 miles. Synthetics are naturally more resistant to oxidation processes and can generally operate at 300 F for more than 10000 miles.

So to summarize and conclude: Operational specs on high stress engines can easily run to 315 F. Higher for air-cooled racing applications (AC vanagon Westy, fully loaded, uphill, 3rd gear, 30 mph). Mobil 1 is rated to provide full engine protection to 204 C (400 F) and Redline has been tested to 500 F for continuous duty.

So, I say, use a synthetic for full protection, and an oil cooler to keep the engine from softening! Redline has my money for the turbo application, but Mobil 1 is my current choice. Oh, yeah, you AC junkies ... I'd use Mobil 1 for 4 stroke AC motorcycles. Even better high temp additive performance.

Frank Grunthaner