Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 11 Jul 2002 01:17:09 +0100
From:         Clive Smith <clive.harman-smith@NTLWORLD.COM>
Subject:      Re: Trying Syncro Springs in 2WD

David,

Its not clear to start whether you just fitted 2 or 4 springs, but on balance I imagine it was just 2 on the rear. 'I've got loads of ground clearance now as the rear end is now higher than the front. ' - ah!, reading between the lines it appears that, although unsaid, you are trying to simulate lowering the front - ? 'I enjoy the better handling although I'll have to see about how it does with rough roads, but so far so good.' - whenever you change the roll-centres of the vehicle the handling (and over/understeer) will change - quite dramatically. With this (guessed at) combination the vehicle will tend to oversteer more, 'turning-in' quicker; this is why dropping the front (slightly) has the same effect, the roll-centres then slope down towards the front - watch the rear doesn't break away easier in wet/loose conditions. 'I plan on making an extra heavy duty rear bumper that will hold my KLR650 ' - what is one of them please, motorbike? ' I just hope my shocks will be up to the task.' - I can't see why you should be concerned particularly about the shocks, as stiffer springs will reduce overall displacements - and comfort. Stiffening the shocks at the rear will tend to exacerbate the rear-end breaking away - although not something to be too concerned about in a vanagon unless very highly powered.

Manufacturers make many compromises during vehicle design and setup, the engineers having a very good understanding of the chassis characteristics and how suspending it will affect ride, steering, handling and roadholding under a wide range of loading. For this reason, almost any modifications will almost certainly reduce safe and stable behaviour under some of those loadings. In Germany the TUV are very hot on this aspect, right down to small changes of wheels and tyres - some vehicles are quite tolerant, others have been known to be highly sensitive and dangerous with just a small change in tyre aspect ratio.

I've been amazed at how well my syncro and T3 transporters steer and handle as standard for a 1.5 tonner, making me wonder whether suspension setups varied between the US and Europe, noting the fascination with modifying this aspect of the vehicle over there.

Clive Smith '88 Syncro Transporter

----- Original Message ----- From: "David Wilhite" <dnmwilhite@EARTHLINK.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Thursday, July 11, 2002 12:52 AM Subject: Trying Syncro Springs in 2WD