Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 11 Jul 2002 10:41:23 +0100
From:         Clive Smith <clive.harman-smith@NTLWORLD.COM>
Subject:      Re: Trying Syncro Springs in 2WD

David,

Thanks for that - and I thought I was about to be chastised.... My syncro handles great and 35 years of putting 30 odd motors through bends does give one a good platform to make a judgement - I'm sure you've made your '84 a bit tighter and more responsive - and a bit different. A vehicle 'up-at-the-front' will rarely 'turn-in' and tends to sway after being disturbed from a straight-line - one sees heavily overloaded pickups (non-VW) doing this a lot on our roads requiring constant 'sawing-at-the wheel' and is a highly dangerous instability for nonk drivers. Slightly upping rear pressures and lowering fronts can help but is not the remedy. But how did yours get so up at the front like this?

My younger brother had a 5-speed 1.9 Wasserboxer panelvan which he used in his carpet fitting business. Loading it up with 4 metre rolls (propped up on the dash, to allow the tailgate to shut, one of the few light vans to allow this), heavy rubber underlay, sundries, tools and 3 blokes he'd rarely be overtaken on 'give and take' A-roads and could truck along twisty B roads looking over the hedges for oncoming vehicles at alarming cross-country speeds. He'd also cruise it lightly loaded all day at 90 mph on motorways - the best vehicle for this job he'd ever had. A bit mad? Yeh!

Our roads are on the whole narrower and twistier and from what I've read on the list, it does sound like VW set up the suspension somewhat differently - although I would think the Syncros are much the same, apart from usually having both diff locks - rare I believe over there and the 2.1 DJ high compression engine, non-existant over there. It pulls my 15" wheeled wagon very strongly. Thank goodness my brother didn't have this motor - he'd probably not be around anymore.

I'm running the following tyres (on 15" Audi alloys) which are quiet and reasonably good off-road - and cheap (£175 for 4, fitted) KUMHO (Korea) 195 R15 1005 Powerguard

Happy trucking Dave - you have actually answered a question being posed on a British VW forum - thanks.

----- Original Message ----- From: "David Wilhite" <dnmwilhite@earthlink.net> To: "Clive Smith" <clive.harman-smith@NTLWORLD.COM> Sent: Thursday, July 11, 2002 3:46 AM Subject: Re: Trying Syncro Springs in 2WD