Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 8 Jul 2002 17:01:17 +0100
From:         Clive Smith <clive.harman-smith@NTLWORLD.COM>
Subject:      Re: The Real Reason for Phosphate Free Coolant?
Comments: To: Jay L Snyder <Jay.L.Snyder@USA.DUPONT.COM>

No, water with a high mineral content is not 'lousy' - in fact hard water with a high Magnesium and Calcium content, where it is found (in chalk districts, say the London basin) is considered good for preventing heart disease whilst soft water as in the West Country (not the Wild-West ) is considered better for preventing kidney stones (for instance) - swings n' roundabouts. So judging by coronaries, maybe your water is lousy - who knows?

I'm sure the water varies as much here as there and really wouldn't take http://www.peakantifreeze.com/faq.html#B as gospel on that, Europe consist of wide a range of rock and geological strata - no doubt there is some truth in this, but there's probably more too it - my VW man here in the UK, says don't bother with falafaling about with AF specs, just ensure you maintain 50/50 at all times and change it annually.

Maybe one day we'll find out the whole story about this Phosphate thing - or maybe we won't. It is however a fact that Wasserboxers here do not suffer anything like as severe internal corrosion as there - these problems have raised their heads many decades ago with some earlier alloy engines but not now. Maybe we started earlier on the route to alloy heads and then alloy blocks, a wise man would not ignore these facts and look at the history of things - despite US History books and web archives often having a goodly dose of tunnel vision, if not just bare-faced 're-interpretation' - Europe is not exactly technologically backward!

From the Peak article It is important to read your vehicle owner's manual, as some European car manufacturers require a phosphate free antifreeze for warranty purposes. For these applications, Old World Industries offers PEAK® Extended Life Antifreeze and SIERRA®, the Safer Antifreeze.

I would suggest this is read very carefully, and also consider if the facts about high mineral water are true, why then severe corrosion problems occur in the US - could it be that high mineral water occurs in US too, and requires the same spec. AF as in Europe - and doesn't get it...

Clive Smith '88 Syncro Transporter 2.1

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jay L Snyder" <Jay.L.Snyder@USA.DUPONT.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Monday, July 08, 2002 4:37 PM Subject: The Real Reason for Phosphate Free Coolant?