Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 11 Jul 2002 11:09:52 -0400
From:         Warren Chapman <vwsyncroguy@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Air Conditioning... Add another evaporator?

In order to have air up front, I recently installed the evaporator/fan assembly and switchgear from one of the aftermarket units made for the Vanagon by Behr. These are no longer available new. They were sold as a dealer installed option for the pre-86 Vanagons when there was no factory air available. I purchased the one I have from a listee who removed it from a wrecked 84 Vanagon.

This installation requires removing the whole Vanagon dashboard, ....quite an intimidating process.... and even more so when it is out.....looking at all the exposed wiring and equipment. The Behr unit mounts into the cavity which normally exists behind and above the glove box. You have to cut away part of your glovebox to make the fit, losing about half its capacity.

I have read, from time to time, of Vanagons with dual AC installed using this system together with the factory system, so I assume it works. However, the only instructikons I have been able to find for the installation are to install the system as the only unit...NOT TOGETHER WITH THE FACTORY UNIT. (If anyone has done this, appreciate some helping tips or info.) I have not yet hooked up the evaporator to my existing factory system. Plan to have it done this coming week by a local AC specialty shop that does custom work.

The Behr unit has two large squirrel cage type fans that move a lot of air through the front vents. Its exciting to turn them on for the first time and feel all that air blowing on me from up front.

My plan is to simply tap the Behr evaporator into the existing coolant flow circuit (would this be what you call "in series") between the compressor and the front condenser. The compressor will turn on and off with the factory vanagon switch, sending coolant around the circuit and through both evaporators (hopefully there will be enough pressure from the compressor). The radiator fans will remain controlled by the factory temp switches. The two evaporator fans for the Behr unit have their own individual rheostat type switches controlling on/off and speed.

The only dual control I plan to integrate with the factory unit is the switch which shuts off the compressor if the evaporator freezes up.

IF ANYONE HAS ANY OTHER SUGGESTIONS OR TIPS - WOULD VERY MUCH APPRECIATE THEM.

There are a couple of minor drawbacks to using the Behr unit that I can see so far-

1. The system is "recirculate" only-- the fans pull air from under the dashboard and have no access to an outside vent system. Not sure how this effect usage yet. Esty Vanagons are not that airtight anyway, so I'm not too worried about this.

2. The center vents are supposed to go into your radio slot so you must locate your radio elsewhere. The original kit had a nice plastic molded box to mount vertically onto the heater cover in front of the gearshift. These are now hard to find. I have one.... but am not too fond of the vertical position of the radio. In the future I plan to make or find some custom vents that could be mounted on the top of the dashboard and route the center AC ducting through the ashtray hole.

3. The side ducts for the Behr kit normally replace the two hoses which supply upper heat through the dashboard vents. This is not too big a deal for me in CA ...but I got creative anyway and cut the two sets of vent hoses at anges and spliced them together epoxy and duct tape for the drivers side so that either heat or AC will come through the vent. Can't do this for the passenger side. There is not enough room for the factory heater vent after the bulky evaporator unit is installed.

4. Loss of half of the glove box capacity (minor tradeoff again.)

ALTERNATIVES:

I seriously considered one alternative to this whole system.....especially after pulling the dashboard off. Vintage Air is a company which makes aftermarket AC systems mostly for the hot rod industy. They sell an integrated heat/AC assembly called their "Supercooler" which I think would fit nicely and replace the whole Vanagon heater unit, thus providing heat AND AIR from one assembly and ONE SET OF FANS. I wasn't sure, however how to solve the whole outside vent/fresh air ducting system included in the factory unit and I arleady had the Behr unit, so I went with what seemed easier on my brain.

Hope this long post is helpful to anyone else WANTING FRONT AC.....just like a normal modern vehicle.

Warren C.