Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 11 Jul 2002 19:12:31 +0100
From:         Clive Smith <clive.harman-smith@NTLWORLD.COM>
Subject:      Re: 85 octane in Colorado
Comments: To: jbrush@AROS.NET

If you are passing through the higher elevations with a turbo then the computer will compensate for it and you won't notice a lot of difference.

Ok, it's knock sensor will start retarding if the boost pressure mapping doesn't understand whats going on, and it probably will And my aviation point was also wrong, as the aircraft have to take-off at sea level!

However, surely all of these high States are not at that altitude and surely one has to take the worst case, which is running around at more like Sea Level than right high-up. Taking an average case, you could get damage, it only takes a few seconds or less of detonation to do serious harm at high throttle openings. I also can't see that having differing fuel specs all over the place is in any way a good thing, or easy to administer, or even cheaper having non-standard mixes. Octane ratings higher than the minimum required don't actually do damage to an engine, like a brief spell of detonation, just your wallet

The DJ needs 93 minimum at Sea level. It runs a 10.5:1 CR as standard from the factory. It goes better with 98, Super Unleaded and does another mpg maybe.

Clive Smith

----- Original Message ----- From: "John Brush" <jbrush@AROS.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Thursday, July 11, 2002 4:19 PM Subject: Re: 85 octane in Colorado