Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 10 Jul 2002 19:41:18 EDT
From:         Richie Chunda <Richiesbad@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Preventing Seam Rust
Comments: To: blackburn@CODENET.NET

In a message dated 7/10/02 4:28:22 PM, blackburn@CODENET.NET writes:

<< Does anyone know a good way to prevent seam rust before it happens. >>

Mike,

Here's my read on the subject:

1/ Don't bang up the van. Even a minor fender bender will compromise the seam sealant and affect seams well away from the area of damage.

2/ If ever I bothered to wax my van, I would try to force as much paste wax as possible into the seams. Sorta a carnuba putty, if you will.

3/ The most fastidious guy I know with the most pristine '84 ever to ply the salt encrusted byways of the Northeast year in and year out, does the following twice yearly: a/ Wash and dry the van. b/ Wipe it down with a liberal amount of mineral spirits. c/ Go over the seams methodically with LPS-1. d/ Wax the hell out of it with paste wax.

This fellow is unusually particular. How particular is he? A couple of years ago he spent $5K (no typo, $5,000) for a new garage door for his modest bungalow. He wanted something simpatico with the house, so he had an accordion door made up. Nothing ornate, just 4 beautifully made sections each with raised panels and 6 lite glazing at the tops, painted a tasteful shade of gray, but made of solid mahogany!

After his weekly washing of the van, he also trickles LPS-1 into the seams. He's gotten quite good at it and, with the van sitting level, he can meter out just the right amount of LPS-1 so that hardly a drop drips from the bottom of the vertical seams.

This regimen is not for me, but if you can endure the hassle, I can attest that it works.

Richie