Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 11 Jul 2002 19:56:13 -0700
From:         Mark Thoma <thoma@MINDSPRING.COM>
Subject:      Re: Scoop Update and oil cooler
Comments: To: Ed McLean <email99@bellsouth.net>

In Response to Ed, I don't remember what brand the cooler was but it is a flat "Mesa" style 11 or 13 pass oil cooler that measures about 11" by 11" by 11/2" and has threaded fittings and cost about $125. I positioned it lying horizontally in the area directly in front of the right rear tailight and behind the right rear wheel well after removing the sheet metal in that area. I then used sheet metal to close that area off from the engine compartment and threaded the high pressure oil hoses through the sheet metal effectively creating a "tube" with the inlet being the stock right side engine vent and the outlet being the cutout beneath the cooler. I did the same thing on the driver's side of the van for the Saab intercooler that feeds the turbo diesel. It wasn't rocket science! I dumped the oil-water cooler as it couldn't keep up with the oil temperatures generated by the turbo and use an in-line oil thermostat to bypass the oil cooler at temperatures less than 180 degrees. At some point I'll probably have a water cooled turbo built as oil cooling it just isn't a very efficient way to go according to my turbo man. Mark p.s. It would still be nice to have somewhere to post pics for the list.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Ed McLean" <email99@bellsouth.net> To: <thoma@mindspring.com> Sent: Thursday, July 11, 2002 4:03 PM Subject: Re: Scoop Update and oil cooler