Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 12 Jul 2002 15:35:44 -0400
From:         Derek Krueger <vanagon@DRKRU.COTSE.NET>
Subject:      Bilsteins, Agilis and SA 15s - A Report (longish)

You may recall my previous posts about a blown MXT and wanting to upgrade wheels. Well, I did some upgrading this week and here is a report detailing what I ended up with and my observations on the changes.

My first step was to put in new shocks. When I purchased the van, the PO informed me that this was one area he had never touched and he didn't know when they had last been changed. I evaluated my options and ended up going with new Bilsteins at all four corners to replace the existing BF Goodrich units. I purchased the shocks from Mac Neil Automotive (http://www.weathertech.com/store/prodsearch.asp?item_group_id=42) as they have the best price I could find online. Shocks arrived on the 2nd of July, not giving me enough time to do the install before my Independence Day/Weekend outing. And wouldn't you know it, on the way home we blew the drivers-side rear shock. What prescient timing! I did the install myself using Tom C's instructions (volksweb.relitech.com/vwhome.htm), Thanks, Tom! The install was easier than expected, taking under four hours including a trip to the store for a new four-way lug wrench as my original cracked as I was removing the first tire. After the install was finished I was eager to road test. My initial observations were that the ride was stiffer (not a bad thing) and definitely more responsive. Now, I needed to put on the new wheels and tires.

That same day I headed to Anoka Tire to have the new tires and wheels I had purchased balanced, mounted, etc. I purchased five Michelin Agilis size 205/65-15 from Tire Rack (http://www.tirerack.com) for $114 a piece. I also purchased five new 15" alloy wheels from Van-Again. I purchased five, as I wanted a spare I could work into the rotation and a backup in case one of the wheels was damaged. The wheels I purchased were the Carat 2 style - see http://www.vanagain.com/Accessories.htm for info. These are factory VW 15" x 6.5" rims with a 30 ET offset. Price was $120 a wheel. I also purchased the lug nut/bolt kit for $50.

The guys at Anoka/All Season Tire went right to work, charging $14 per tire (not including stem). With tires on I hit the road. At first I noticed what I thought was a wobbly feel, but I wasn't positive. Made the short trip home and had my girlfriend come out to take a look - "SHARP!" I asked her to watch the wheels as I drove around a little. Sure enough, the rear wheels were wobbling like wheels on a clown car. Removed the wheels and noticed two bolts on the drum which were preventing the wheel from lying flush. Researched and decided to remove the bolts. All is good and I only wish I had found this out before having the new wheels mounted...

Observations. The van drives considerably better than it did before with the old shocks and 14" MXTs. Also, the new SA alloy wheels are very sharp and add a lot to the looks of the van. Not too flashy, just right for our 84 Wolfsburg Westy. The van handles the wind MCUH better. It is almost as if the van pushes back at the wind. Where I once would have been fighting with the wind to stay in my lane I can now relax and make minor adjustments, even in large gusts. The van corners like my Passat - okay, maybe not quite. But, the cornering is greatly improved allowing us to enter freeway ramps with confidence and negotiate rush-hour traffic with ease. The ride is somewhat stiffer, but this is what I was looking for. The stiffness does not make the ride harsher, but rather takes the bumps and makes them subtler. Overall, both functionally and cosmetically, this upgrade was definitely worth the money and effort.

Now I need new springs for my saggy rear. I don't want to change the ride, just correct the 1" inch discrepancy between the front and rear. Any suggestions?

Let me know if you have any questions. And, I will post here when I have the pictures on my website.

Derek 84 Westy Wolfsburg w/ Tiico