Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 12 Jul 2002 14:09:58 -0600
From:         "Richard A. Jones" <Jones@COLORADO.EDU>
Subject:      Re: Battery switches
Comments: cc: rodney.woten@lennoxind.com

Someone asked about relays vs isolators at the end of June. I posted that I had another option--a switch. Some asked about it and I replied with what's below. I didn't post it to the list then, but with all the questions around Rodney's new Westy and switch, I thought I'd post it now:

The battery switch is made by Guest (www.guestco.com) and looks similar to their current model Cruiser 2101 ($24.95 from www.onlinemarine.com) but mine is black and this one is red. It is a surface mount switch rather than made to fit on a box as some other models--at least as I understand their web pages. It is mounted on the frig/sink/stove cabinet just above the base of the driver seat and inboard from the camper frig fuse (or whatever.) While driving I can reach back below the armrest and switch it with my left hand.

Here is how it is wired: In the passenger battery compartment, the red wire to the electrical system has been removed from the + battery clamp and hooked to a wire to the switch. It is tucked along the left side of the compartment and fits there without interfering with the battery, so the whole system could easily be abandoned. I don't know how the wires are spliced, since it is all neatly taped up, but if I were doing it, I'd bolt two eyes together or something so I didn't even cut the end of the original red wire off. That means NO mods to the VW wiring whatsoever; I like that kind of design!

This new wire, plus its replacement from the + battery clamp exit through a large (~1 inch) hole in the front of the battery compartment--a vent, I assume. Under the bus, they go across above frame members to just below the battery switch. A similar wire from the driver compartment comes out about there and all three go up through the metal to the switch just above. All these holes have insulating sleeves of some sort. That means that there is probably only about 10 ft total of new wire.

The wire that is being switched is size 6.0 (8 AWG?) red and goes to terminal P on the back of the fuse/relay panel. See Bentley 97-104 (for my '87--all are similar.) This is where the electrical system gets its juice. [In campers, another P terminal is used to feed the frig relay with a 2.5 size red wire--Bentley 97-33b. This is the only other P terminal use.] The new wire is grey; I assume it is of proper size--6.0 mm crosssection or 8 AWG.

The person who did this design/installation worked here in Boulder for NIST--the old Nat'l Bureau of Standards--so is probably a physicist or engineer. It all appears to have been "done right."

One thing to note: turning the switch to OFF is not the same as removing the ground straps because the BIG red wire (size 70 or 1 AWG) is still going to the starter, so terminal 30 on the starter and on to the regulator is still HOT. The ground strap on the passenger (main) battery still has to be taken off. The switch will isolate the driver battery when OFF.

This BIG red wire is how the battery is charged--the alternator is "behind" the starter--see the Bentley. That is why the switch must be in BOTH to charge the aux battery. The main passenger battery or both can be charged, but not just the aux battery. I don't find that a problem. When I am on the road going camping or between sites, I switch to BOTH and arrive with both batteries charged. If I keep having senior moments and forget to switch it, I will make a reminder card that I put in front of the speedo to help.

The battery in El Jefe was a group 41 Interstate--the "medium" duty. I made it the aux battery and bought a new "Magnum" Interstate for the starting battery. A cover "plate" of a masonite-like material was made to cover the aux battery; it is screwed down similar to the passenger cover. I don't know what covered that before--maybe that compartment is open at the top?

OK, now you know all I do. If you have questions, just ask.

Richard A. Jones Boulder, Colorado '81 Vanagon Mr Bus '87 Syncro Westy El Jefe