Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 12 Jul 2002 02:01:07 EDT
From:         Richie Chunda <Richiesbad@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: No Subject
Comments: To: jcessence@HOTMAIL.COM

In a message dated 7/11/02 11:40:21 PM, jcessence@HOTMAIL.COM writes:

<< I am trying to remove the rotors on my 87 syncro... ... Does anyone have any ideas? >>

John,

I have been through the misery which is now staring you in the face more than once. First, I will tell you what I found to be the source of the problem: there is far too little clearance between the OD of the hub flange and the ID of rotor. I would guess this gap is about .030". Whenever the ID of the rotor rusts, the exfoliating iron oxide fills this scant space solid and the rusty rotor becomes one with the universe and, unfortunately, also the hub.

The first time I was confronted with this problem, I saturated the rotor with penetrating oil, applied some heat and went at it with a 2 lb. copper hammer. After some abuse, it came off. At the time, I did not realize that I was, in some small way, lucky. More about that later. I saw what the problem was and as I mounted the shiny new Brembo's I thought for sure by painting the mating surfaces with anti-seize that I would not get stung again.

When it came time to renew the front wheel bearings, the anti-seize slathered Brembo rotors would not even budge. In the end, I removed the rotors with the hubs still attached. The rusting was much worse than before. I descaled the rotor/hub joint as much as possible with every kind of pointed tool imaginable, then I soaked the assembly with penetrant and tried to press them apart on my small press. At the point that it appeared something might go bong and drop my sorry ass into a carefully dug hole in the ground, I decided to try a different approach. I placed a piece of plywood on the floor with the rotor/hub (inboard side down) on it supported by a few blocks of hardwood. I then heated the collar of the rotor with a rosebud tip in an oxyacetylene torch. I wanted to heat the rotor as quickly as possible so that little heat would soak into the hub. As soon as I thought it was hot enough, I held a 6" length of 2" AL round on the center of the hub and gave it one hell-of-a smack with a heavy hammer. It finally popped out. In hindsight, I should have wasted away the rotors on the lathe; it would have been quicker.

Before, I mentioned that I was lucky the first time. I was lucky because the original rotors were OE and they rusted far less than the Brembo's. When I unpacked the Brembo's, I was duly impressed with the machine work on them. What I could not see was the metallurgy in them. As pretty as they were, I have never seen rotors rust to that extent. So, if you have aftermarket rotors, you might have to cut them off. Keep in mind, that the edge of the hub flange is almost hard against the ID of the rotor.

I have heard some guys talk about beating on the rotors until they break apart. Given a big enough hammer, I guess anything is possible, but it will also ruin your wheel bearings while you are pounding away at it.

Although Syncro OE wheel bearing last a long, long time, if you think yours will need renewed soon, now might be soon enough.

Richie