Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 14 Jul 2002 09:08:45 -0500
From:         Jeremy Speer <jspeer@POBOX.COM>
Subject:      Mystery Machine back on the road (long)

Folks,

I'm hoping this will be the last installment in the clutch replacement saga that began something like a month ago.

Briefly, i had a local VW shop install a LUK clutch kit that i bought from Ken at Vanagain. My flywheel needed to be replaced too due to a small crack. The van has been leaking oil from between the engine and transmission ever since.

Took it back to the shop. They "redid" the job. After only a few highway miles...drip drip drip.

I took it back again, but this time there were all sorts of scheduling problems and broken appointments, one that was almost comical. To make matters more fun the owner of the shop started down the, "this might not be our fault," road. "Your galley plugs or cam shaft freeze plug might be leaking."

I then learned the galley plugs can be replaced, but the big plug that backs up the camshaft, on the flywheel end, according to my sources, cannot be removed, threads cut in the block and a threaded plug installed. The crankcase would have to be split in order to replace it.

But a trip to a different mechanic... one that had been recommended by several folks here in Minneapolis... and the van is back on the road. After 54 highway miles, not a drip to be found. Fingers remain crossed, but so far so good.

He put the flywheel the previous shop had installed in the back of my van. It was covered with oily surface rust. The face had not been machined... just scuffed up with some kind of orbital sander. It was completely missing one tooth off the ring gear, another was decayed to almost nothing, and the leading edges of all the teeth on the ring gear, where the starter pinion slams against it, were visibly deformed. He left the original problematic main seal was still around the flywheel center flange. The silver spring inside the seal was deformed at one point and there was a nick in the inside portion of the seal.

Was the main seal that the first shop installed bad? Was it nicked by the shop when they tried to seat it? Unknown. The ring gear on the flywheel, though, was too far gone. I'll try and put some photos online if anybody is curious what all this looks like.

So, any Minneapolis folks planning any trips? I stopped and refilled my propane tank on the way home from the mechanic's place... i'm just itching to take a trip before something else breaks.

-jspeer '89 Westy, "Mystery Machine"