Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 8 Jul 2002 19:49:53 -0700
From:         Craig Oda - Personal email <craigoda@COMMUNITYBUILDERS.INFO>
Subject:      valve adjustment

Hi, I've been talking to my brother-in-law who is a Austin-Healey man about adjusting the valves on my vanagon. He is saying that there are 2 TDC for each cylinder. I'm actually fairly baffled by how to adjust the valves since the Bentley manual and most instructions assume that the person doing the work knows how to find TDC.

So, what I've done is put the timing mark inline with the distributor and adjusted cylinder 1, both the intake and the exhaust. I'm adjusting the screw on the springs so that it is 1 full turn tighter than when it just touches. I'm not sure if it should be tighter or looser.

From here, I've heard both turning 180 degrees and then doing cylinder 4 and also turning 90 degrees counter clockwise and adjusting cylinder 2 next. What is the correct order for cylinder valve adjustment and do I have to worry about the difference in the intake and exhaust valves?

Right now, my Westy doesn't idle, regardless of whether it is hot or cold. It just dies. I first thought it might be the valve adjustment. If someone can give me enough info for a novice guy like me to adjust the valves, then I might rule out that possibility. I need to adjust the valves because I replaced a cylinder head and the gaskets on both heads. (this was accomplished more by determination than knowledge).

I then thought about the vacuum system. So, I checked all the hoses I could find. The system seems free of leaks. I also changed the 3mm rubber hoses.

What else could be the problem? There is a sensor going into the main engine block under the van on the driver's side. The wire of this broke because it was so brittle and I respliced it. But, it could have broke again. Does anyone think this is the problem?

Could anything else be preventing my Westy from idling? Also, please help me with the valve adjustments. Think that I know nothing, because I haven't messed with cars before this.

Thanks.

-- Craig

-- Craig Oda craigoda@communitybuilders.info VW Info: 1983 VW Westfalia, water-cooled, automatic