Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 7 Jul 2002 22:25:19 -0400
From:         John Brush <jbrush@AROS.NET>
Subject:      Re: Aircooled vanagon acceptable oil temperature / timing problem?

>I think Simon's got a good point John, a terrific post anyway. Reminded >me of aircooled aero-engines for a minute there. >Bill too. Great stuff, I feel ashamed now having to admit mine's a poxy >Wasserboxer, so if I go near any sand or big hills on a hot day, I'm >going to check at least the cooling fan's working and the rad's really >clean, inside and out. 50/50 antifreeze mix as well.

Well, I have always felt that way about any of the aircooled VW engines I have beaten up on. I suppose I could blame the present situation on the fact that I am out of work and in no position to spend any money on a new motor. Until lately, I have just gone ahead and towed a trailer with it, driven it "off road," and never worried too much about it. Some good advice came from someone on this list pointing out the fact that no matter what I do to it, a new motor is still cheaper than a new car/van, so use it, and if it breaks, fix it. I agree. I just can't afford to fix it at the moment, so maybe I am overly cautious.

I am a bit concerned tho, because it has never run this hot in the year and a half I have had the temp gauge. One thing I have noticed is that running 70MPH on a wide, crowded freeway it will head quickly for 250 degrees, but when I take the state highways, like through much of wyoming, it will run 20 degrees cooler, still running along at 70. A lot of it is certainly the temperature of the road.

Oil is good, the tin is all there, the fan works, and the thermostat...... How do I test that?? Guess I better go dig out mr bentley.

The 'vanagon man' vouches for the extra oil cooler. It will be priority one when I get back to work. I hear that all I need to do is move to Oregon, dial up a legislator, and I can be pumping gas in not time at all! <g>

Thanks for all the good advice and comments.

Regards from Hell,

John