Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 11 Jul 2002 13:15:11 -0400
From:         Jon Sykes <jon.sykes@PS.GE.COM>
Subject:      Selling my 82 Diesel Vanagon ASI Camper
Comments: To: Audi-VW-Diesels@yahoogroups.com, vanagon@yahoogroups.com,
          vwdiesel@audifans.com, limbolist@yahoogroups.com

I'm reluctantly selling my 82 diesel Vanagon ASI camper. I bought the vehicle back in February as a realization of a long-term dream. I love the van and it was to be a keeper, a hobby, a daily driver and home away from home. I spent quite a bit of money on getting a new engine put in the vehicle and now I'm in a bit of a predicament. I need some orthonathic surgery and have just learnt that the price has gone up 30% since I spoke to the surgeon last year. In short, I don't have the money. I've considered my options and the easiest thing is to sell the camper. To tell the truth I've not been using it as much as I thought I would, it's the middle of summer and I'm sure someone else can better utilize it. You guys on the Vanagon and diesel lists have been great so I'm posting the sale here.

Specs: 1982 Vanagon Diesel 170k Beige color 'New' Factory rebuilt 1.6NA with 20k on it ASI (Riviera?) conversion Large rectangular pop up roof with 3 zip out 'windows' 2 burner stove, Dometic fridge, sink with tank and external hook-up. Lots of cupboards Electrical hookup and outlet inside Everything is pretty much original - interior, paint, etc. Van is is pretty good shape given it is 20 years old All systems are go Clean title and history (Carfax) Van sailed through CO diesel emissions - 69 mph on the dyno Good tires, brakes, clutch, tranny, CVs, etc. Cooling system temp always between 1/3 and 2/3 New exhaust New camper battery Recent glowplugs

Known problems: 2 small dents - 1 next to the fuel filler and 1 at drivers side rear Light surface rust in places. I sprayed any rust spots I could find with beige rust-arresting paint. I was planning to sand and prime the areas over the winter. 2 cracks in the windscreen not in drivers line of sight Needs bumper 'ends' Fuel tank will weep if it's filled to the brim (Ken at Vanagain has a kit to fix this known problem. Even easier fix - don't fill tank to the brim) Passenger window winder handle needs replacing Needs a new radio aerial Will need a new battery pretty soon

In a nutshell this is a great, reliable, economical vehicle. Amazing design. Use it as a daily driver and for camping trips. Great vehicle for road trips. You could even live in it! Not the fastest vehicle on the road (!) but if you use the gears correctly and don't labor the engine it's really not that bad. I had the choice of putting a GTi motor in it but then decided to stay with the diesel for its longevity, reliability and fuel economy. I considered a 1.9NA but the cost and confusion over parts put me off. The new engine will easily see the vehicle through the next 20 years or 170k miles with regular oil changes and good oil.

Original engine and fuel injector pump included in the sale Camping odds and ends (including fly screen, small portable propane heater) included Van located in Denver, CO Email me for lots of pictures (let me know if you have PC or Mac). Price - I'm hoping somewhere between $3500 - $4000? Open to offers.

Thanks!

Jon