Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 15 Jul 2002 23:22:24 -0400
From:         Christopher Berchin <ctb1@PEOPLEPC.COM>
Subject:      tiico's, subies and diesels oh my...

I have gotten my spreadsheet to a point where it is share-able. Please note the following disclaimer:

What it does: * Proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that I am truly a geek * Uses dyno data to calculate thrust and acceleration, along with approximating powertrain losses and drag forces * Calculates drag using the standard Drag Equation, using the VW-quoted Cd of 0.44. This is for a non-Westy, pre-1986 model. * Takes into account the weight of the vehicle * Takes into account the tire size * Takes into account all gear ratios * Allows one to compare various engines to get an idea how much engine performance can change * Provide hours (?) of fun for noodling around the various combos * Show you the effects of higher-RPM engines. For example, the long legs of the 6500-rpm engines allows you to downshift to 3rd gear to climb that tough hill at any speed below 80mph. With a WBX, you're stuck until you fall below 65 mph. And so on.

What it does NOT do: * Help my case to peers that I am sane * Estimate RPM-dependent losses, such as increasing load in the alternator as RPM climbs. I considered those lumped into the generic "powertrain losses" percentage that you see in the sheet. * Incorporate rolling resistance of different tires * Account for static loaded radius of the tire instead of theoretical radius. NOTE: I have made a version where you can input a known revs/mile of a tire and it back-solves for SLR based on that and the tire size, so there is a way to do it. In fact, I better check that I haven't inadvertently left that in one of the sheets. * Give exact, cannot-be-disputed numbers * Provide accuracy commensurate with NASA launching a Space Shuttle * Account for automatic transmission slip * Account for tire slip at speed * Account for tire growth at speed * Account for tire pressure changes * Account for aero effects of spinning wheels, open windows, fat tires, and so on * Hold the key to cold fusion * Provide true data for the 1.9 WBX. I don't have a torque curve for that engine (and sadly, that's my engine!), so I took the max HP and torque values and RPM quoted by VW and iterated until I got what looked like a believable curve compared to the 2.1. Those two engines aren't all that different, so this seemed good enough for my purposes * Use an exact frontal area in the drag coefficient. I modeled the bus as a perfect box in front view, with 12 inches subtracted off the vehicle height to approximate ground clearance. Not scientific, and I know this. Quick and dirty to see the effects of drag on top end, as it increases with the square of velocity. That makes a difference to loons like me who use their Vanagon for 75+ speeds almost exclusively.

Misc bits * This concept was written by a friend of mine to compare theoretical accelerations of his 220-lb butt on his motorcycle and my 145-lb butt on mine. We also used it to see how well the gear ratios were chosen on the bikes - i.e., did they provide nice intersecting curves, or did acceleration fall of hugely in between gears? I heavily modified his original spreadsheet and concept into the monster you see here. Hence the fields "Ride weight" and "Bike weight" in the sheets. * I have included a 2.5 Oettinger TDI engine in the comparison. All dyno data is from Oettinger's site, and I do NOT know if this engine can be slapped into a Vanagon. Their illustrated use is in a Eurovan. However, there are Vanagon TDI's out there, so I thought it would be fun (for me...never really planned on making this mass-consumption) to see how much poop a TDI has. * HP is calculated from torque; the basis of the entire calculation is torque data from a dyno. * All data is from the manufacturer or tuner and is crankshaft power EXCEPT for the 1.9 WBX - see above * If anyone has dyno data from a chassis dyno, BRING IT ON! That data will reflect true powertrain losses, rather than using the semi-standard amount of 15%. Syncro folks: your losses are definitely higher than 2wd. I have dynoed cars in the past, but not my bus. * Torque must be entered in lb-ft. Anything else will blow the numbers out of whack, but the trends will be the same. * I never intended for this to really be used by a ton of people, so it isn't at a level of polish that would make it ready for sale at Best Buy. I'm sure there are some inconsistencies in labeling, etc. * If the thrust (after drag losses) is less than zero, then you can see that the vehicle will be aero-limited in top speed. If the thrust remains positive to redline, then that means the vehicle could pull that speed given enough time to accelerate. THAT'S THE THEORY - however, the numbers are not exact, due to the things outlined in "What it does NOT do" above * "Rho" is the Greek letter used to denote density, in case you are wondering when you see the sheet.