Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 17 Jul 2002 15:58:04 -0300
From:         Various <AllStuff@HANS-WILLY.MYIP.ORG>
Subject:      Re: Running on Tap Water

Please let me preface my remarks by saying that I am skeptical to the point of disbelief whenever someone claims to have invented a perpetual motion machine or broken the laws of thermo dynamics...

A few tens of years ago I remember reading (in NEWSWEEK or TIME?) about someone working on a concept about injecting a small amount of water (finely atomized) into the hot combustion chamber, just after ignition. The theory, as explained, was that the thermal expansion rate of the finely atomized water was greater than the expansion rate of the combustion gases, mostly due to the transition from liquid water to gaseous water, and therfore gave an extra kick to the piston for "free". Exeptional gas milage was the quest, the headline giving hope of a 100 mpg future.

The story continued about the Oil companies' concerns and wanting to buy him out... The concept seemed to me somewhat possible, but I never heard about the concept since (maybe the conspiracy really does exist ;~) ).

I say that this seems possible, not knowing much about the thermal expansion curves of water (steam) and gasoline combustion gases.

I have noticed that most internal combustion engines seem to run more smoothly in very wet weather, assuming there are no wiring concerns and that the engine is fully warmed up, but this could be another issue altogether.

So let's see where this one goes.

Alias Fred aka Bleu Schtroumpf

-----Original Message----- From: David Brodbeck [mailto:gull@CYBERSPACE.ORG] Sent: 17 juillet, 2002 10:04 To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: Re: Running on Tap Water

On Wed, 17 Jul 2002, Timothy Crooks wrote:

> I am no chemist, nor physicist, nor do I claim to be, but it has been > demonstrated to, when I was about 14, by a chemist, that water can be used > to make a fire burn hotter. He pointed out that there must be a fuel > present, but when water as in the form of a steam, a true dry steam, the > caloric output is increased.

Is it increased by more than the caloric input needed to make the steam?

_ _ __ _ _ _| | | | David M. Brodbeck (N8SRE) Ypsilanti, MI / _` | | | | | | +----------------------------------------------------- | (_| | |_| | | | @ cyberspace.org \__, |\__,_|_|_| "Geekdom is fantastic at being AGAINST something, and |___/ it's hopeless at being FOR something." -- Andrew Orlowski in The Register.