Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 15 Jul 2002 13:56:53 +0100
From:         Clive Smith <clive.harman-smith@NTLWORLD.COM>
Subject:      Re: 85 octane in Colorado

>If everything is up to spec, you won't see any difference between 93 and 98 octane as far as performance and mpg are concerned. Octane has nothing to do with either of those factors. The Super Unleaded probably has other additives that affect the performance.<

John, Thats what I was taught at college too, except that as far as performance goes, it does seem to be a bit perkier - maybe the Super UL 98 has a higher benzene content and other additives as you say and the 10:1 DJ likes this. As far as mapped ECU system with knock sensor (which the DJ isn't) is concerned, it could definitely make a difference as any backing off of the ignition under load would not be as early if at all - but these are really turbo or supercharged issues.

Clive Smith '88 Syncro Transporter

----- Original Message ----- From: "John Brush" <jbrush@AROS.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Thursday, July 11, 2002 5:59 PM Subject: Re: 85 octane in Colorado