Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 19 Jul 2002 06:37:58 -0700
From:         "Greenamyer, William L" <william.l.greenamyer@BOEING.COM>
Subject:      Trans shutter

That is about the only way I can explain. Missed a lot of messages because got knocked off the list. Back on now.

Trans works fine in forward gears. Usually works properly in reverse except when there is an incline or load (left the emergency brake on). Get a shutter like the clutch is bouncing or something. Still getting a fluid (very small amount) coming from between the trans and engine. I am guessing that it could be the cause. Have had things replaced twice now (bearings and seals) but the problem appears to be coming back again. I do not believe that VW seals were used. Could that be causing the leak (which I am guessing is engine oil but have not been able to determine that for sure yet and I might get some dye and check on that soon) since the engine really isn't using oil (except that which drips from the oil drain plug). Earlier on, I had a crack in the heater hose leaving the passenger head. It only squirted when hot and it was a fine squirt but it just happened to be right at the side of the engine where it joined the trans. That was a long time ago. No other apparent problems with the trans or clutch. Still average 20.5-22.5 MPG even with stop and go freeway traffic and climbing the Cajon Pass every weekday. I remember (before getting bumped from the list) about three plugs on the end of the engine that can leak sometimes. Looked in the Bently for them but didn't find them. Anyone have any more information on these plugs and if the bearings and seals are OK, I would suspect that these could be the source of the fluids mentioned above (assuming that it is in fact engine oil).

William