Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 19 Jul 2002 09:32:21 -0700
From:         Steve Schwenk <steve@SYNCRO.ORG>
Subject:      Re: [syncrolist] Pauter Ratio Rockers: Installed and Working?
Comments: To: "Forhan, Thomas" <thomas.forhan@mail.house.gov>,
          "syncro@yahoogroups.com" <syncro@yahoogroups.com>,
          "syncrolist@yahoogroups.com" <syncrolist@yahoogroups.com>,
          "vanagon@yahoogroups.com" <vanagon@yahoogroups.com>

I forgot to clearly indicate that i did not use the pre-cut pushrods. I ended up installing 1.25 rockers instead of the 1.4 Pauters, and measured and cut my own pushrods.

steve@syncro.org wrote: > > I would hold off until after this trip, Tom, unless you have the time to > do it properly. > > As to whether the pre-cut push rods are the proper length: two mechanics > believe they are fine, one has concenrs about wanting to first verify > that they are correct via his preferred process of determining proper > length, which is best done with the engine out, and requires removal of > the heads/push rod tubes and lifters (and using a solid lifter > instead). > > I would advise that you verify independently that the pushrods are of > the correct length. Not everyone removes the engine and heads to do > this. You can use an adjustable pushrod to determine ideal length based > on geometry of the lifters (what the angle of the lifter is relative to > the tip of the valve stem.) There is some danger that you will not get > accurtate measurement if the lifter is bled down and has air in it, so > caution and experience help. > > I am not an expert in this area at all, but this is what I learned in > installing mine. Proper geometry is critical to longevity and > efficency/performance. It is much more critical in high RPM racing > engines than a WBX, but it still matters. The mechanic who did the > measuring for the pre-cut rods is definitely competent to do it right. > I have a bit of doubt about my own competency to do it alone with no > help from someone experienced. I am pretty sure I got it right, but I > now have what i believe may be excessive oil consumption. Valve guides > are one, if not the most, likely path for this oil into the combustion > chamber. Did i screw something up and ruin my valve guides? I don't > know yet. But it's possible. Still investigating. Boy will that suck > if did! The heads will have to come off for new guides. > > Proceed with caution! > Steve > > > "Forhan, Thomas" wrote: > > > > I'm wondering if anyone has installed the Pauter rockers with the > > pre-cut pushrods which were aquired as part of a group purchase > > earlier this year. Someone had a problem with the pushrod length, if I > > recall correctly. Was it resolved? Did anyone else go ahead with the > > installation? Any other problems? > > > > I'm going out of the country on a ten day business trip next month, > > and during that time my wife will drive the syncro to Maine and I'll > > fly directly there to meet her. I'd like to install the kit before I > > go, but there would be little time to get any experience with it > > before I leave. > > > > I do not want to have her driving from DC to Maine and ending up with > > serious problems while I am out of the country. If there is any > > question about reliability with this mod, I'd rather wait and do it at > > a time I'd be able to make sure everything is on the up and up. I > > would install the Aussie chip at the same time. > > > > PS I sent a similar message from my blackberry about 6 hours ago and > > it is not showing up. Sorry if this is a duplicate. > > > > Thanks > > > > Tom F. > > 90 Syncro Westie > > 83.5 GL 9 Pax sunroof > > 91 Audi 200q20v Avant ( for sale) > > 03 Mini Cooper S (in production) > > > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor > > ADVERTISEMENT > > > > To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to: > > syncrolist-unsubscribe@egroups.com > > > > To reply to the author of this message only, hit "Reply." To reply to > > the entire list, hit "Reply All." > > > > http://www.syncro.org/ > > > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.