Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 20 Jul 2002 01:49:20 -0400
From:         Jeffrey R <Oxroad@AOL.COM>
Subject:      installing muffler and cat questions

I just purchased an Ansa replacement muffler for my 83.5 Westy and a Bosal catalytic converter.

The Ansa muffler does not have the direction of flow marked. logic would dictate the triangular flange with three botlt holes and the extra supports welded to it in the intake and mounts to the cat. The other triangular flange with three threaded holes is most liley the outlet and connects to the tailpipe. Does this sound right?

The Bosal cat is part number 099-046 4397. The flow direction is clearly marked, so that is not an issue. The Bosal part number is for both the early water-cooled Vanagons with the 1.9 liter and the later Vanagons with the 2.0 liter according to the catalogue at my parts dealer. To accomodate both applications the triangluar flanges on each end spin freely so they can be configured for a number of applications. The Bosal cat also has a threaded opening for an 02 sensor and a plug for that hole if the 02 sensor is not mounted in the cat. (my 02 is in the exhaust manifold-not the cat) The VW parts sheet notes the early and later water cooled busses use different cats.

I thought the cat might be inferior and figured i didn't want to use a "universal" cat. So, I looked at Bus Depot and noted they use the same part number for the cat on an early Vanagon and a Later Vanagon. (BD does not use the Bosal part number noted above, but has the number 22918 and I do not know what brand BD sells.) This makes me think the only non-VW dealer cats available might be these cats that have several applications. And I'm guessing the VW dealer cat is cost prohibitive.

Does anyone have experience with these cats with several Vanagon applications? And are they satisfactory? Is Bosal a reputable manufacturer of cats?

And finally, the Bosal cat has a welded heat sheild on one half. My original VW cat does not haev such a heat sheild. Should this heat sheild be mounted so it is up, down, front or back? What it's function--keeping heat from what? The rear bumper? A potential pile of leaves under the parked bus?

Any info and advice will be appreciated.

Thanks, Jeff 83.5 Westy LA,CA