Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 15 Jul 2002 18:55:13 -0400
From:         Christopher Berchin <ctb1@PEOPLEPC.COM>
Subject:      Re: tiico's, subies and diesels oh my...

<< I'm just curious if there is a definitive place to look for comparisons on these engine conversions? >>

I wouldn't call it "definitive," but I'm currently working on finishing a spreadsheet with graphical analysis of the 2.2 Subie, 3.3 Subie, 1.9 and 2.1 WBX engines. Basically I've plotted the thrust curves for each engine in each gear over the entire rev range. What I'm working on now is adding the effects of powertrain losses (i.e. frictional losses that are internal) and aero drag. I have it figured out, I just haven't finished it yet. Once done, I can post the graphs - right now, the only thing that really "has it all" is my comparison of the 2.1 WBX to the Subaru 2.2, but only for top gear. I have drag and powertrain loss effects only for fourth gear for those engines - what's left to do is to do the rest of the gears and engines.

The whole thing is an Excel spreadsheet, so you can play with tire sizes, gear ratios, and dyno cuves to see what happens. Note that all are approximations, but so far my 1.9 WBX chart says that I should top out at about 91 mph, and since the top speed is really 88 mph in reality, that's close enough for gov't work.

If anybody wants the final results, drop me a line and I can send it along to you. Once I have something close to complete, I can upload the graphs at my Imagestation albums.

To add more engines, all you would need is dyno data and gear ratios. Punch it in on the spreadsheet, do a little Excel work, and bammo - a new comparison is born.

Chris