Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 15 Jul 2002 19:46:24 -0500
From:         Stan Wilder <wilden1@JUNO.COM>
Subject:      Re: tiico's, subies and diesels oh my...
Comments: To: ctb1@peoplepc.com

In all fairness Chris a new Honda Civic would stomp the hell out of any 300 hp Vanagon and especially Westy. Frank Grunthaner already posted a list of possible conversions and their published HP ratings. I can remember Zoom Gear had a Idiot Wheel that worked like a Flight Computer and it had the capabilities you are putting into a spreadsheet. I haven't seen anything similar on the Internet because I haven't looked. I'm sure that the application you are working on will be of some value to some people. Keep up the good work.

Stan

On Mon, 15 Jul 2002 19:52:43 -0400 "Christopher Berchin" <ctb1@peoplepc.com> writes: > > Chris wrote: "Note that all are approximations." > > -------------------------------- > > Stan replys: Then why bother? > > Chris counter-replies: Because approximations are the best you can > ever > hope to have, even in the engineering world, until you actually > build a > prototype and test it. It's good for A-to-B comparisons and > prediction of > trends, if not exact numbers. For example, it shows how changing > your tire > size will affect your accelerations, though not at the *exact* > number of > g's. It will show you graphically how hugely a 240-hp Vanagon would > stomp a > 1.9 WBX like mine, and so on. Most of the world's creations were > simulated > using approximations first. : ) Basically if you're thinking > about > spending a lot of money on some sort of engine, this can help show > you how > much bang you'd get for your buck. > > Chris > > > ----- Original Message ----- > From: "Stan Wilder" <wilden1@juno.com> > To: <ctb1@PEOPLEPC.COM> > Cc: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> > Sent: Monday, July 15, 2002 7:26 PM > Subject: Re: tiico's, subies and diesels oh my... > > > > Chris wrote: "Note that all are approximations." > > -------------------------------- > > Stan replys: Then why bother? > > > > Stan Wilder > > > > On Mon, 15 Jul 2002 18:55:13 -0400 Christopher Berchin > > <ctb1@PEOPLEPC.COM> writes: > > > << I'm just curious if there is a definitive place to look for > > > comparisons on these engine conversions? >> > > > > > > I wouldn't call it "definitive," but I'm currently working on > > > finishing a > > > spreadsheet with graphical analysis of the 2.2 Subie, 3.3 Subie, > 1.9 > > > and 2.1 > > > WBX engines. Basically I've plotted the thrust curves for each > > > engine in > > > each gear over the entire rev range. What I'm working on now > is > > > adding the > > > effects of powertrain losses (i.e. frictional losses that are > > > internal) and > > > aero drag. I have it figured out, I just haven't finished it > yet. > > > Once > > > done, I can post the graphs - right now, the only thing that > really > > > "has it > > > all" is my comparison of the 2.1 WBX to the Subaru 2.2, but only > for > > > top > > > gear. I have drag and powertrain loss effects only for fourth > gear > > > for > > > those engines - what's left to do is to do the rest of the > gears > > > and > > > engines. > > > > > > The whole thing is an Excel spreadsheet, so you can play with > tire > > > sizes, > > > gear ratios, and dyno cuves to see what happens. Note that all > are > > > approximations, but so far my 1.9 WBX chart says that I should > top > > > out at > > > about 91 mph, and since the top speed is really 88 mph in > reality, > > > that's > > > close enough for gov't work. > > > > > > If anybody wants the final results, drop me a line and I can > send it > > > along > > > to you. Once I have something close to complete, I can upload > the > > > graphs at > > > my Imagestation albums. > > > > > > To add more engines, all you would need is dyno data and gear > > > ratios. Punch > > > it in on the spreadsheet, do a little Excel work, and bammo - a > new > > > comparison is born. > > > > > > Chris > > > > > > > ________________________________________________________________ > > GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO! > > Juno offers FREE or PREMIUM Internet access for less! > > Join Juno today! For your FREE software, visit: > > http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/. > > > >