Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 15 Jul 2002 17:34:00 -0700
From:         Jim Arnott <jrasite@EONI.COM>
Subject:      Re: (another) Van Dies,
              Refuses to start in extreme hot weather.. (very long)
Comments: To: John Dagastino <themisanthropicmeanie@YAHOO.COM>

Replace the r/h temp sender (multiple wires) above the thermostat. Drove me nuts for three years then I had to replace the thermostat housing with a junkyard bit. Bit had senders in it. Hasn't failed to start since.

Jim

John Dagastino wrote: > had it do this crap yesterday, and today. > > wouldn't start. lots of trying to make it start > succeeded. didn't really change much of anything. > > and on the way back from the hardware store (while > getting masking tape so i can paint the wheels silver > so they look nice with the baby moon hubcapsd) it died > and wouldn't start for about 5 minutes. > > i have replaced everything concerning the ignition > system except for the idle stabilizer* (and it is > bypassed at the moment.) > > (*yes, the computer, too) > > took the fuse panel down and agitated the wires > connected to it, rapped on the relays with my > screwdriver, beat on the engine computer with both my > screwdriver and my first, nothing would make it die. > > none of the fuse panel connections have ever been > messed with but i checked them all ( including all the > wires, relays, and spade connectors, took a long time, > too) and they're all tight. > > it just croaks completely randomly when it is hot at > hell outside. during the evening (actually, anytime > not in the hot ass mid day sun) it doesn't give me any > trouble... > > does anyone know of a weak spot(s) that i could check? > > whats more susceptible to heat? > > it's an 84 GL 1.9 and when it dies the idiot lights > all come on and the starter turns over, but no start. > > usually this means the spark has died (got a new > distributor, too , mebbe i got a crappy one) > the spark fails to emit from the coil. > > also has new rotor, plugs, cap, and wires. > > *insert lots of muttering and cursing here* > > also starts hard sometimes during the aforementioned > extreme hot weather. maybe the hall sender on the new > distributor (Rebuilt, but i'm thinking a new one would > be a good idea, anyone got one for sale cheap?) sucks? > > anyway, it looks really smoove with the ugly black > wheels painted silver with chrome Empi "smoothie" baby > moon hubcaps. (see http://www.empi.com ) *much* nicer > than those goofy ass plastic wheel covers. > > i really need to get something better to commute in. > (i work nights though) > > ===== > "Puritanism: The haunting fear that someone, somewhere, may be happy. " > - H. L. Mencken > "Insisting on perfect safety is for people who don't have the balls to live in the real world." > -Mary Shafer, NASA Ames Dryden > More Quotation fun @ http://nerddom.8m.com/quotes.html > > __________________________________________________ > Do You Yahoo!? > Yahoo! Autos - Get free new car price quotes > http://autos.yahoo.com > > . >