Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2002, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 23 Jul 2002 18:41:05 -0500
From:         Stan Wilder <wilden1@JUNO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Knocking sound
Comments: To: geiser@EXECPC.COM

Cat stuck to the tire? ---------------------------- What I am discovering is that a lot of the BS comments and smart ass of no value remarks are NOT coming from the pacific northwest! Stan Wilder

--------- The below comments were posted to West Westies by Susan --------------- To all Wet Westians far and wide. This is a blatant editorial. The views expressed are my own and while I have discussed these topics with others the responsibility for the opinions expressed here in are my own. I have waited to write this till I would have daily access to my computer so as not to throw gas on a fire and turn my back.

WW has been around for about 5 years. I have been a listee from pretty much the beginning. As the name implies most of the organized and publicized trips are around the pacific northwest. I believe it was the original hope that listees would have a camping idea and share it with the group if others could attend they would join in. If not there would be a synopsis of the 'event' after so others might know if this was a good camping spot or not. Since we all had volkswagen campers of some sort (theoretically) we would also digress to camping equipment fixes that were not either welcome or dealt with on other lists.

As time went on there has become a core of about 40-60 or so people/campers that seem to attend on a regular basis and we have become personal friends as well as camping buddies. I think that has been one of the best benefits of internet access for me and I wish all lists could say the same.

As such we have gone 'off topic' more and more because it is a source to communicateeasily with lots of people you already know and have vw technical respect for. I think our list has evolved nicely into that kind of friendly advice forum. So much so that I never got around to resubscribing to the other so called 'technical' lists. And I don't even own a vanagon! But it does make sifting messages easy. :-)

As people feel comfortable in a group they allow parts of their personality to show. We have had sarcasm and tongue in cheek stories. Usually these can be appreciated and life goes on. Lately (in this year especially) there have been some occasions where flames have erupted and things have gotten out of hand, (in my opinion) Stupid comments are thrown in and somebody jumps on it in a negative way and the roller coaster takes off. opinion to follow: What I am discovering is that a lot of the BS comments and smart ass of no value remarks are NOT coming from the pacific northwest! I am sorry but I don't get it. If you don't live in the northwest, aren't planning on visiting, aren't inviting us to camp in your region and providing information on wonderful locations there in case we are traveling, why do you butt in? I have discovered that some of these listees are not welcome contributors on other lists or have reputations for riling the troops there too.

We have wonderful lurkers out there from all over. When they plan a trip to the northwest they solicit opinions or try to coordinate an in person camping opportunity. I believe that is exactly what we are about. Just this weekend we had the opportunity to welcome Kevin from Florida whom we wouldn't have met had it not been for the list. We have had folks from Texas, Virginia, England, California, join our campouts because of the list.

Because of some of the negative 'talk' on our list I have seen some departures and backing off of local contributors both in person and with their comments. I think that is unfortunate and a loss for the rest of us. Yes, this list's ultimate control is controlled by one person but I believed that the tone of the list was set by the majority of members. I was a member of a California group that I watched deteriorate due to conflict. (in fact it is from those ashes that we formed) I would really hate to see a separate list have to happen off this list. I have seen the beginnings of that already. In fact my California trip report didn't go to a total broadcast just because I didn't want to have to 'trim' what i said to avoid getting stupid comments back. I was sorry to have to do that. I feel it deprives the quiet people of information. (obviously since we got a new member who wondered where all the air-cooled trip reports were!)

I am sure there are people who agree and some who don't care and some who may even disagree and feel that negative comments contribute to the thought process. I don't think so unless it is expressed concisely and articulately and politely. As I am sure some of you can figure out my opinion expressing is spurred on by my wax dilemma last week and some of the comments that ensued. 90% of the people responding to me either offered constructive comments, sympathy or knew me personally enough to make a smart remark but they did it off list. The fact that the several disparaging comments were even made whether they were meant for general consumption or not I do not feel portray characteristics of a good Wet Westian. It is not polite to rank personally on someone you have never met. I appreciated the comments I got back after my response and I know those comments portray the true list personality. Why do they need to be made off list for fear of list reprisal or not being able to express our feelings regarding negative comments.

So I will end my commentary and come what may. The short opinion is if you aren't with the spirit of the community leave or shut up. Let's go camping and post those trip reports.

Susan> --------------------------- If you have any comments send them to - susan@cellair.com