Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2002, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 24 Jul 2002 23:51:37 -0400
From:         Jeffrey R <Oxroad@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Handle on Passenger side door pillar.
Comments: To: mwalz@VMRESEARCH.ORG

In a message dated Wed, 24 Jul 2002 2:51:12 PM Eastern Standard Time, mwalz@VMRESEARCH.ORG writes:

> Any installation advice?

Marty--

It can be an easy install in about a half hour or so. Or you can spend a day and a half. I chose the latter.

I see it's been pointed out by a fellow listee. But I feel the need to reiterate it, as the grab handle on the driver's side is a GREAT addition, but must be done carefully.

So, yes, the wires to the dome light and to the rear interior camper light or what have you run inside the windshield A pillar.

My advice is measure and mark carefully where you will put the handle-roughly the same height etc.... where the passenger handle is.. Use a small drill bit to drill a pilot hole--and use some kind of a drill stop so you won't go too deep into the void in the A pillar where the wires are. Seems to me you could use a piece of wood with a hole in it larger than the drill bit to keep the bit from penetrating enough to shread the wires.

I think a while ago another listee had recommended pushing the wires out of the way and to a spot where they are mostly clear through the pilot hole with a coat hanger. Then using a larger bit to acommodate the handle mounting, again with a drill stop, and you should be OK. Whatever the case, keep from catching those wires.

While replacing the wires isn't that tough it is a PIA.

Good luck Jeff 83.5 Westy LA,CA