Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2002, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 22 Jul 2002 08:35:12 -0500
From:         Bruce Nadig <motorbruce@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Warranties
Comments: To: MLibby1@CFL.RR.COM

I've worked in the repair business for a number of years. I have quite a bit of experience with these warranties. Here are my thoughts:

The extended warranty is basically an insurance policy; you are betting the car will break and the warranty company is betting that it won't. Unfortunately, the warranty folks hold a few more cards. There is a LOT of fine print and exclusions. Because of this there are many, many ways for them to get out of paying.

There is little to no brand awareness in the extended warranty business. Probably 99% of people that have an extended warranty can't tell you the name of the warranty company. In fact, most of them think it is the dealer (or other seller) that is actually making the warranty. This is untrue. The dealer is simply acting as a sales agent. Because of the lack of brand awareness, there is little incentive for the warranty company to make you happy (pay out money for claims). You, as the consumer, hardly know who they are and probably won't seek out their specific product the next time you are in the market for an extended warranty (remember, you probably don't even know their name).

I once had a customer that had a problem with his starter. The outer housing had cracked. Before any repairs could be made I had to get authorization from the warranty company. I explained the problem to them. They said they would not cover the repair. Their reasoning: although the starter itself was covered under the warranty, the starter housing was not covered! Have you ever bought a starter that didn't come in some sort of housing or case? After a bit of ugliness they finally did decide to pay, but it wasn't easy.

Long story short: the warranty company has no incentive to pay your claim. Their primary activity is finding ways out of paying claims so they can keep the money. Do you want to buy a product like this now?

Bruce

_________________________________________________________________ MSN Photos is the easiest way to share and print your photos: http://photos.msn.com/support/worldwide.aspx