Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2002, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 25 Jul 2002 18:45:46 -0700
From:         Fryday <fryday@CALIFORNIA.COM>
Subject:      Re: Hella H4s and relays
Comments: To: Robert Steven Fish <fish@SALZBURG.CO.AT>

Hey, I just bought the Hella dual battery relay kit. Is this the same relay that would be used for the headlight? Do I only need one relay?

Thanks,

Philippe

On Thu, 25 Jul 2002 21:30:43 +0200 Robert Steven Fish <fish@SALZBURG.CO.AT> wrote: > There is a reason for installing the relays though for your lights... and > that reason is that the there was a design flaw in the original VW spec. > They routed all the power from the battery, through the entire wiring > harness, through the switches, and then eventually to the headlamps. > > There is a significant voltage drop due to the small diameter of the wire > used, and the amount of resistance encountered along the way. > > This means that your lights are most likely receiving 10-11 volts, when they > should be geting the full 14 volts (you can test the voltage at the bulb > with a multi-meter and see exactly what your voltage is). Even a tiny loss > of voltage at the lamps, results in a huge loss of light output. > > You will notice a HUGE improvement in being able to see the road at night, > with simply the wiring / relay upgrade. Of course, the European H4 lamps > are then even better.. and you will be seeing even more critters in front of > you at night. You should not have to remain of-road with the standard H4 > lamps, as nobody will know that they are any different from normal lights if > they are adjusted correctly. > > If you go and put the 100/80 watt bulbs in (wiring upgrade is then > mandatory) you may get in trouble if you shine your slightly misaligned high > beams in a cops face... but adjusted correctly, these too can be used on the > highway too. If you are off-road, then I would go the 100/80 watt route, > with rewiring and relays on all lights... it is simply a better system. > > There is more than enough documentation on how to do the wiring upgrade... > and it is really easy. Just use a good beefy wire, or it is not worth doing > at all. > > Good Luck > > RSF > > IMPORTANT!!! In order to reply to me, you must have the word "FISH" > somewhere in the subject line of the email. Otherwise it goes directly in > the trash. > > <º)))>{ <º)))>{ <º)))>{ <º)))>{ <º)))>{ <º)))>{ > > Robert S. Fish > Salzburg, Austria > 1987 Wolfsburg Vanagon 2.1 GL Weekender > 1987 Golf Cabriolet > 1991 Golf > > ----- Original Message ----- > From: "Jeffrey R" <Oxroad@AOL.COM> > To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> > Sent: Wednesday, July 24, 2002 10:48 AM > Subject: Hella H4s and relays > > > > If I replace the stock style headlights on my 83 bus with Hella H4 7 inch > > round headlights, do I need to install a relay? The H4 bulbs are 55/60 > watts > > (low beam/high beam). > > > > My fear is they will damage the light switch. I don't know exactly why > they > > would--too much pwer running through the switch, maybe? I'm no > electrician. > > > > I should also mention I have the hella H3 driving lights wired into the > high > > beams with no relays. > > > > I'd rather avoid the project of installing relays, but am I then working > on a > > fire? Are the relays necessary to avoid this? > > > > (once the H4 are installed I will only use the vehicle in competition and > off > > road per DOT laws for the H4 ;) > > > > TIA > > Jeff > > 83.5 Westy > > LA,CA > >

A bientot et avec amour,

Fuzzy :philippe Stilts/Chocolate Truffles/Chill Spaces/Fuzzy Characters... mystikat@california.com - email (866) 248-7673 x6111 - voicemail/fax

"Create the world you dream with every choice you make!"