Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2002, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 22 Jul 2002 09:32:12 -0700
From:         Brent Christensen <sbsyncro@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Adding MP3 tunes to the Vanagon - Blaupunkt MP3000
Comments: To: syncro@yahoogroups.com

Just wanted to let everyone know that I installed a Blaupunkt MP3000 deck into the Syncro this weekend, and it fit like a glove. According to Crutchfield, the deck does not fit, but I can tell you that it fits perfectly. And installing a deck into a Vanagon is SOOO easy, since you can pull the ashtray and have access to the rear of the deck.

The MP3000 unit is currently available at Costco for $179 - that is $80 less than the best price anywhere else, and the best price I have seen for a deck that will play MP3-encoded CD's of good quality. So far, I have been impressed with the sound quality (through my wimpy Alpine 4" single cone speakers).

According to the manual, it is supposed to be able to navigate folders, but I have been unable to get this to work properly (I think it must be the way I have the CD encoded - I don't think I closed the session on the disk) I get "Comm Error" messages on the display when I try to navigate. For example, I have a disk with two folders at the "root" level: Jazz and Blues. Under the "Jazz" folder is another set of folders like "Miles Davis" "Chet Baker" "Thelonious Monk", etc. Under the "Blues" folder is another set of folders like "John Lee Hooker", "Jonny Lang", and so on.

If the disk is inserted and the deck is left alone, it will play all the tracks on the CD in alpha order (regardless of the folder). "Mix" mode similarly shuffles tracks from any folder. However, if I use the "Folder+" or "Folder-" buttons, the unit does not seem to be able to read the folder information and craps out after about 30 seconds with a "Comm Error" message. I wonder if anyone with the same deck has experience with this?

If anyone has any specific questions, I am happy to respond to p-mail! My full review can be found at http://www.carreview.com/CD+Receivers/Blaupunkt+MP3000+MP3+Player/PRD_129894_2861crx.aspx

Brent Christensen '89 GL Syncro Westy Santa Barbara, CA