Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2002, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 26 Jul 2002 15:16:31 EDT
From:         John Wessels <EUROMOG@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Amplified Subwoofer question
Comments: To: dave@SPARKPLUG.COM

I just installed the 8" Bazooka and a 200 watt per (2) channel amp in my Syncro. The Bazooka fits nice under the left side of the back seat. I installed the amp under the drivers seat and ran the wires under the carpet. I used a 6ft RCA cable from the in dash unit to the amp and it was the perfect length. The Bazooka is rated at 125 watts and one channel of the amp is 100. Keep this in mind when using a sub woofer as it only runs off one channel. The price varies greatly for the Bazooka so shop around. I didn't shop enough and paid a little more than I should but that is OK. I paid $100 for a Kenwood amp and it works great with the Bazooka. I admit that a bigger amp along with a 10" speaker in a bigger box would sound better but where could you put it and be out of the way? The Bazooka can easily be moved and is pretty rugged in it's casing. It definitely gives the bass thump that was missing.

I also installed some Rockford Fosgate 5 1/4" speakers in the front door panels. I moved the center of them towards the rear and they just barely miss the sides of the dash when the doors are closed. After installing these speakers I now know that the 6" speakers would also fit as long as the grill face doesn't stick out too far and hit the sides of the dash. If you have hand crank windows I don't think they would clear. The style that I used have separate 1" tweeters. Since the door panels I used were from a Van that had hand crank windows and mine has power windows I used the tweeters to fill hose holes. I had to hand cut the speaker and tweeter holes with a dremel tool. I also had to cut a bigger hole where the window winder mechanism came through the metal part of the door to clear the depth of the tweeters. The tweeter did come with a surface mount that would have made the install easier but I wanted them flush. These speakers sound fantastic! I think well worth the $150 I spent for them. I also installed some Rockford Fosgate 6x9 speakers in small boxes in the rear. I mounted them in the same area as the factory speakers but mounted them to the side walls instead of the ceiling. I used through bolts and removed the rear air intake grills to fit the nuts and washers. I used silicon caulk to water proof the bolt holes. They are now high and out of the way for any cargo usage. It was about $130 for the speakers and the boxes. For my in dash CD player I bought an Audiovox unit on sale for $80. It is a 25 watt x 4 channel unit that has a removable face. I know it is a cheapie but if it is stolen so what? I have a total of $650 in the entire system and it sounds great for the money. I also bought an amp wiring kit from Monster Cable and that made the wiring for it much easier than trying to scrounge up all the little connectors and cable. I had to buy a new antennae too as the DPO tried to splice the coax cable...arrgh. The Audiovox unit does have a large heat sync at the back and it did hit the plastic air duct. A heat gun and some gentle pushing took care of that.

Now I can play my Nirvana CD's cranked up as I bash over boulders on the trail...:)

John Wessels '87 SyncroMog European Motorsport Livermore, CA 94551 http://www.euromog.com