Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2002, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 27 Jul 2002 23:21:58 -0600
From:         Simon <simon@FARRSIDE.NET>
Subject:      Re: Just wondering

I always thought that the exits were on the front of the door because it's a low-pressure zone. This would be due to the design of the door/body, not because of the front-most location. My 4-door early Jetta's air exits the front edge of the back doors, My Scirocco's air exits at the back edge of the doors, A3 chassis cars' air exits through flaps in the body behind the portion of the rear bumper that wraps around the body, 1971 and up Beetles' air exited through those small, cresent-shaped vents at the very rear of the passenger compartment (Flow-Thru Ventilation was a big selling point that year), and earlier Beetles and Ghias had lousy ventilation unless you opened some windows. In the case of the Jetta (and all A1 VW's), not to mention our vans, the air in question would: 1) Enter the ventilation system at the very front of the passenger cabin, 2) circulate about the cabin, 3) flow into an exit point; in the case of a Vanagon, at the REAR of the front door, 4) flow FORWARD (!), and 5) exit the vehicle. The air can flow forward inside the doors for two reasons- first, the door space is a separate plenum, not subject to the air currents of the general cabin, and second, the cabin is a high-pressure zone, thanks to the front-mounted air intake, and the air exit vents wherever they may be located, are in a low-pressure zone, thanks to some thoughtful folks in Wolfsburg.

On Saturday, July 27, 2002, at 08:52 PM, simon glen wrote: > Similarly, > for moving motor vehicles, air always flows from the back to the front > and > this is the basic principle upon which all vehicle through-flow systems > work.

Yes, the aperture takes interior air and vents it to the outside- but where does the interior air come from, besides leaks? From the ventilation system at the front of the cab.