Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2002, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 28 Jul 2002 13:28:16 -0700
From:         Michael aka ECHO <echosmurf@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Air Conditioning

Hey list, It's about time.... someone else spoke up proper. Thanks Bill. Oh yeah you can use the ES-12, Maxi-Fridge stuff... But know this for most of the warranties if replacing A/C Pumps: You must replace the Dryer, flush the system and replace O-rings. In some instances the condensor too. (Oy the costs!!!) You have to flush the system if you are going to replace with R-134a as the R-12 and R-134a oils DO NOT mix. They do make a wonderful sludge that tends to plug the system (gotta love then changing out the condensor, dryer, a/c pump..etc.). DON"T forget to make sure the evap. is flushed out too! Most forget that. Holding a vacuum is one way to test f the system has a leak. No vaccum, no sealed system. The main way is to use a 'snifer'. Electronic sensitive device to freon. Though where you do test out around the sealed ends and such.. has to be cleaned off prior to using the 'snifer' as to no come up with a false reading. CHECK the Shrader valves proper too! Many a leaking systems I have fixed, have been due to just the shrader valves. A few times the O-ring seals, because most only use thier A/C system during the hot months. You should on average and good precautions, run the A/C systme once a month to lube the system. Just trying to help out some and hopefully someone doesn't have to come back upset they had to replace everything or loose the pricey R-12. Before I finish my rant. Yes, you od have to change the O-rings because the R-134a and oil does tend to eat at the R-12 O-rings. Michael

--- Bill Marshall <Willolyn99@AOL.COM> wrote: > Hi Dawn, > Yes, the AC is worth having in the desert! It should > work much better > than it apparently does. When I drove across the southern US > (AZ, NM, TX, > LA, FL) I had it on the whole time and it was nice and cool. > Of course, last > week I broke a hose fitting on it, so maybe I am not the best > source of info > today! > First, if they are charging you that much they are > probably using > r-12, and wanting to flush out the system. R-12 works better > than R-134, but > it is much more expensive and inherently evil to the earth. > See what they > charge to switch to R-134. Either way, flushing the system > probably isn't a > bad idea. If you switch refrigerants, you should do this > anyway. > Next question, how much of a mechanic are you? There > are a few things > you can do yourself to save money, and make your system > better. If you are > so inclined, you can throw in a new expansion valve block and > a > receiver/drier relatively cheaply, and swapping the seals for > an R-134 > switchover is easy. Now, getting your system vacuumed and > filled is a lot > cheaper. (always pull a vacuum!) > When you do get the system up to speed, you will find > that it can be a > bit slow to cool off. The volume of the van is huge, and the > ductwork sits > on the ceiling so it starts out very hot. But once it gets > going it works > well, especially on the highway. There is also a product out > that has been > argued over on the list before, called ES-12. It is supposed > to help, but it > is definitely a DIY thing. > > Best of luck > > Bill Marshall > 85 GL Tiico w/ retrofitted '90 A/C