Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2002, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 28 Jul 2002 15:31:39 -0700
From:         mark drillock <drillock@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: Running Rich, need help (and wierd fuel pressure)
Comments: To: "Blake C. Thornton" <thornton@MATH.UTAH.EDU>

Another couple things come to mind. Hot wire the fuel pump so it runs continuously with the ignition being off. This is easily done at the fuel pump relay. Remove the relay. Put male spade connectors on one end of each of 2 short wires. Plug these into pins 30 and 87 of the fuel pump relay socket. Touch the other 2 ends together and the fuel pump will run.

Now watch the fuel pressure. If it is now stable then you know that the fluctuation is being induced by the injection system.

This can be further narrowed down by unplugging the wires to each injector in turn and seeing if one in particular is the culprit with the engine running.

Mark

"Blake C. Thornton" wrote: > > > > > >I changed out my fuel pressure regulator and tried running again. It ran > > >better, but here is the wierd part, the fuel pressure quickly flucuated > > >between 28-40psi. I mean the needle on the gauge bounced so quickly > > >between 28 and 40 that it was a blur. Very wierd. Anyone ever see this? > > > > > >I guess the next thing to try is swapping out my temp sensor. Maybe I'll > > >give that try right now. My current temp sensor is only about a year old. > > > > > >Thanks for any help, > > >Blake > > >84 Westy > > > > Was the vacuum line connected, to the regulator, when testing the > > pressure? If not try disconnecting it and see if the pressure still > > bounces all over. > > I just tried this and its still bouncing all over the place. the only > difference with the vacuum disconnected is that the range is now higher > (its bouncing from 35-45 instead of 28-40). > > Also, I took out all my injectors while the fuel gauge read about 30psi > and watched. All the injectors stayed dry, no dripping. So, I am now > doubtful if there is one that is leaking (although I'm not 100 sure yet). > > Its still running rich and still sounds horrible. > > Thanks, > blake