Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2002, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 28 Jul 2002 19:24:20 -0400
From:         Hector Zapata <hector.zapata@XRXGSN.COM>
Subject:      Re: Electrical Gurus help needed 88 van.kinda long

This van is a 1988 Automatic...........

So is mine...

I had the problem with turning the key and nothing happenning........I installed a new Bosch starter 4 months ago, so i pulled it and took it to the shop for warranty replacement.........put the new one on, and got about ten starts out of it, no problem. Then, same thing........if i hit the starter with a mallot and screwdriver (thru the engine bay) and someone is turning the key, it fires right up.

Now, I pulled the harness off the ignition switch and plugged on a new one i had on the shelf......nothing. I then ran a jumper wire from hot in the ignition switch harness straight to the starter...fired right up. So, I knew i had a voltage issue with the plug on wire at the starter. (loaned voltage meter out so did not have) So, I thought time for the Bosch WR-1 relay kit. I install it, and it fires right up.BUT...the solenoid or starter is still engaged after it starts when i run the relay. If i jumper the starter from 12v it just starts with no hanging up. So I tried a different relay, and same result........It is like it is not switching itself off after the starter engages.

Then I Chase wires from the ignition switch to the fuse box, Spray DeOxit on them, and hook it all up stock. Turns right over.....a few times that is.

I know my prolem is the park/neutral switch. Maybe I have to jump it in the morning and it works fine the rest of the day, or I have to be jump starting all day, depends. You could probably start there. I know this, because it won't start in neutral using the ignition switch 99% of the time, but it does in park, when it does start.

I pulled it up on ramps to check some other stuff, and I go back in to start it, and nothing. NOTHING. no LIGHTS, NO POWER AT ALL IN THE FUSEBOX..........NOTHING. i THEN CHECK THE BATTERY, AND IT HAS 12.5v, and the connections are tight.

Switch?