Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2002, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 27 Jul 2002 14:08:25 -0300
From:         Malcolm Stebbins <Malcolm.Stebbins@MSVU.CA>
Subject:      Quebec’s  Gaspé:  Trip report

Patricia and I have both been to Quebec’s Gaspé (Gaz-bay) peninsula before but never together. So we decided it’s time to “do it together”. We loaded up the VW camper and headed off last week (Sunday 14 July). We headed north out of Halifax through New Brunswick (NB) and timed our trip so that we could take the slow road. After driving through cute little towns with interesting names (Shediac, Grande Digue, Bouctouche), we arrived at NB’s seaside Kouchibouguac National park just about dinner time. If you’d like to follow along with a map, try pointing your browser to: http://www.tourismnbcanada.com/web/english/maps/ . Our photos are located at http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/mwstebbins/ and the “album” is called Gaspé trip (or some such name).

Next day, as we were not in much of a hurry, we were late getting started and took as many 2 lane back roads up NB’s Acadian east coast as we could, poking around the interesting Acadian peninsula. Again the towns reflect the French heritage with names like Paquetville, Caraquet, and Laméque, where we had lunch. We went so slowly that on day 2 we were already a day behind schedule, but cared not. We found a camp ground on NB’s North coast – on the Baie des Chaleurs -- and had a place within spitting distance of the ocean.

Monday was a bit foggy and rainy, so it was mostly a driving day. We headed west, right along the coast to NB’s Campbellton, through places like Petit –Rocher, Nigado, Belledune etc. where we crossed over to Quebec’s Gaspé Penn.

Again if any of you like maps, try:

http://www.tourisme-gaspesie.com/en/index.htm and click on Maps (at the bottom of the page) and then on Road Map on the next screen.

Once in Quebec, we headed right back east, but this time along the northern shore of the Baie des Chaleurs along 2 lane roads hugging the shore line. Towns with names like Paspébiac, Saint Siméon, Saint-Thérèse-de-Gaspé. Our goal was the town of Percé, as there is an interesting rock formation on the coast here; also, Bonaventure Island, just off the coast of Percé, is a conservation area, a bird-sanctuary.

The whole of the area was shrouded in fog as we arrived and we could see nothing of the rock or island. As we were making arrangements for our campsite, the campground attendant kept assuring us that in the morning there would be a grand view right out our camper window. He was right, the next morning was clear and we had a splendid view.

New Brunswick is officially bilingual so we were able to ease into French through the unofficial Franglaise ( a mix of French & English). Quebec is, of course, Francophone. Pat speaks French but is VERY rusty and she hates to make mistakes so she stumbles on verb tenses and male/female forms of nouns. I have some phrasebook French and I don’t care much what comes out of my mouth (careful!). On top of all of that is the Quebec accent, and then the local Gaspé vernacular. For example, Oui comes out sort of like “Wa” with the “a” sounded like the ‘a’ in QUACK. It is one challenge to put together a coherent question, and quite another to make sense of the answer in the local French dialect. But this is part of what travel is about.

We were up early so as to get the first (9 a.m.) boat out to Bonaventure Island. Isle de Bonaventure is interesting as one can walk around and get right up next to the hundreds of thousands of nesting Northern Gannets.

Once back on dry land, we headed north along the coast to Forillon National Park, right on the tip of the Gaspé Peninsula. There were no camping places left in the park, so we camped just south of the park in L’Anse-aux-Cousins. Here I was again able to help another Vanagon driver; he had left his gas- cap at a gas station back in Ontario and was waiting till he drove back through there to retrieve his gas-cap. He was a bit astounded when I told him I had an extra gas-cap that I could loan him – just so long as he mailed it back to me when he returned home. I’m sure that you, the readers, carry an extra gas cap for your “cars”. “No, really?”

Next morning was spent in Forillon Park. Forillon is more a seascape park and as we live here on the ocean and had just spent 3 days driving along the ocean we did not tarry long here. We did take a 3 hour walk/hike out to the end of the Gaspé peninsula. After the hike we headed west through the interior of the Gaspé.

The interior forests and mountains were a welcome contrast to the seascapes. Interestingly the only town along this interior route is Murdochville, which is a dying mining town and is now nearly a ghost town; many of its shops were all closed up and we had to actually try 3 or 4 places to find a place for Pat to have a “cuppa”.

Our goal that day was the Quebec’s Gaspésie Provincial Park in the interior of the peninsula. This is a welcome relief from the sea-side as the interior is, by Eastern Canada standards, a mountainous range with the highest mountain reaching 1280 metres. The campsites in this park were also filled so we drove a few kilometres outside the park, found a logging road and wound our way up a mountain dirt track for a perfectly good “stealth” campsite (see photos). This turned out to be one of our best campsites as it was 1) free, 2) absolutely quiet, 3) less light-pollution, so the night stars appeared brighter than usual.

There are several all day hikes one can do in this park. We were able to obtain information on some hikes that we did not know existed. One 27 kilometre hike will have to wait till next year, but we did hike to the top of the 1280 metre Mt. Jacques Cartier, the highest in the park. We have now done 4 bits of the 1,000 kilometre International Appalachian Trail that goes from Mt. Kataden (spelling) in Maine to the tip of Quebec’s Gaspé Peninsula. Maybe one day we’ll do it all.

After visiting Gaspésie Provincial Park, the trip was about over; we headed back down through New Brunswick (one night) stopping long enough to go through the rather touristy Acadian Village. The Village is an outdoor working museum with shops and houses and folks wearing period clothing, spinning yarn, or forging, or printing etc. Next day it was back to Halifax: a full 7 days’ trip.

I like these trips in the van, as I get Pat all to myself (24/7 – as the saying goes) in a small confined area without the distractions of life here in Halifax. We did not check email or voice mail once in the 7 days and that does not happen very often.

Our next planned trip again takes us (in August) to Quebec, but this time to the Îles-de-la-Madeleine in the gulf of St. Lawrence.