Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2002, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 30 Jul 2002 06:00:02 EDT
From:         Frank Condelli <RAlanen@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: A Tiico installation Success!!!!!!!!!!!
Comments: cc: mumbrue@ATTBI.COM

In a message dated 7/29/2002 11:29:47 AM Eastern Daylight Time, LISTSERV@GERRY.VANAGON.COM writes:

> Unfortunately, the muffler is so rusty and broken

Julianna, why not install a <A HREF="http://members.aol.com/Fkc43/stebro.htm">STEBRO/Vanagon Stainless Steel Muffler ? </A>We have one that will fit your Tiico installation perfectly. See message from Andrew copied below. The pics will not come across on the List so I'm not forwarding them. They are of little consequence as we are now making the STEBRO muffler with the proper bracket for the Tiico engine. Muffler is exactly the same as the one on the website except for the bracket location.

<<It has been a great deal of time since our last correspondence. I apologize. Here are some additional pics of the Stebro muffler instalation on the inline four from South Africa. The sound is fantastic, at idle you hardly notice the van is running. At high speed I can still hear my four 4" speaker system just fine, and can carry on a conversation too.

I have noticed a resonating sound at around 60 mph but it goes away above 65 mph fortunately. Reportedly this has occured for others as well with this conversion so I can't tell for sure if it the muffler. Others suggest vibrations in the D-post cavity due to the airintake design and the cannister type air filter.

In the attached pics you are looking at the one modified bracket. An additional bracket was welded into palce as the Stebro brackets are too flimsy to keep the muffler away from the belts, according to my shop taht did the instalation. I was hoping to get pics while it wasm on the rack but could not arrange it.

The modified bracket has since broke loose, note the broken weld. I intend to get it into a muffler shop someday and have it installed better when finances allow.

I really enjoy this muffler and have had the opportunity of listening to another Ticco conversion with a stock muffler, mine is quieter at idle and throatier at higher RPM's.

I hope these pics help, and after I get the instalation done by a muffler shop I will send more pics. (you're probably saying yeah right!) But I will. I do thank you for your patience, and I do recomend theis muffler to anyone with the conversion, the bracket issue needs attention however.

Let me know if you need assistance making sense of the pics... Cheers,

Andrew T. Ziegwied Satisfied owner Stebro/Vanagon Muffler>>

Cheers

Frank Condelli Almonte, Ontario, Canada <A HREF="http://members.aol.com/BusFusion/bfhome.htm">BusFusion</A> a VW Camper camping event, Almonte, ON, June 2003 '87 Westy & Lionel Trains Member: <A HREF="http://www.vanagon.com/">Vanagon List</A>, <A HREF="http://www.bcn.net/~limbo/">LiMBO</A>, <A HREF="http://www.westfalia.qc.ca/CIW_English.asp">IWCCC</A> & Capital City VW Club Vanagon/Vanagon Westfalia Service in the Ottawa Valley <A HREF="http://members.aol.com/Fkc43/stebro.htm">STEBRO/Vanagon Stainless Steel Mufflers</A>   <A HREF="http://members.aol.com/Fkc43/busindex.html">Frank Condelli & Associates</A> or http://frankcondelli.com