Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2002, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 30 Jul 2002 11:37:13 -0700
From:         Ray Reinhard <rayreinhard@SBCGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Front Speaker Recommendation

I recently installed a pair of Blaupunkt Overdrive 5 1/4" component speakers (model ODca540) in my front doors and they sound and look great. (Although retail list is $230, I was able to pick them up for much less on eBay.)

One neat feature of these speakers is that the tweeters can be mounted at an angle, facing back towards the driver and passengers. This greatly improves sound quality, especially when mounting the tweeters where the original 4" door speakers were located, as I did.

To install the tweeters, I removed the stock 4" speakers, carefully pried the old speakers (and all associated black plastic) from the old grilles, and snipped holes in the old grilles just large enough to accommodate the new tweeters. I cut a ring of black construction paper to cover the inner surface of the old grille, between the tweeter and the edge of the grille. It was then a simple matter to attach the tweeters using the screw-on mounting ring supplied -- then re-insert the old speaker grilles (with the new tweeters) and attach them using the original screw-on rings.

Installing the 5 1/4" speakers required cutting a little bit of sheet metal at the bottom of the door panel, but nothing major. I also had to remove the plastic "box" that covers the lower door hinge inside the door, in order to make room for the speaker. I used XTC 5 1/4" slim foam speaker baffles, to protect them from dirt and moisture.

Overall, a fairly simple project and a very nice addition to the van!

Ray Reinhard '86 TiiCo Westy Camper GL