Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2002, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 30 Jul 2002 18:50:25 -0700
From:         Jim Ellis <ellisjames@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Vanagon Virtues and Type 2 contrasts( was ahhh..
Comments: To: Imua Camper Company <res0jfr1@verizon.net>

Agreed... As a good friend of mine used to say regarding splitties, Find it, fix it, drive it every day. It is not the destination that makes the trip. Perhaps the journey is the goal. With that many buses/cruisers and Vanagons to maintain perhaps Imua CC needs to hire me to move to the islands and work on them and do PR work. After watching the Discovery Channel program about the legendary old school 85 and 90 year old long board surfers, I would be willing to lower my rate and make the move for only $100G per year! My parents turned down a chance to move to the big island in 1963. He would have been one of the first Prudential Ins agents in Hawaii. Instead, I have been a desert rat my whole life... -Ellis\

--- Imua Camper Company <res0jfr1@verizon.net> wrote: > Despite currently owning 10 vanagons, an 89 Jetta, a 74 > Landcruiser, 74 Volvo 145, and too many bikes- my preferred daily driver > would be a 1959 or earlier splitty. I'm a splitty guy at heart and will > have one again as soon as I can (like the 56 I just saw for sale on > Maui) I would have no qualms about driving it 4000 miles cause you fix > the damned bus and drive it- daily. But that would be a lot of trips > around the Big Island. Vanagons are great for their functionality, but > nothing beats a split bus for pure and simple joy.... my $.02... > Aloha, Shawn > > p.s. If anyone has seen the footage of our Kilauea pouring lava > into the sea on the news, it is probably the video handy-work of listee > Mick Kalber and his faithful assistant Daddy-o.... > > > > > On Tuesday, July 30, 2002, at 11:51 AM, Jim Ellis wrote: > > > --- warmerwagen@hotmail.com wrote: > >> Wait a minute- how do I know whether your'e pulling my chain or that > >> you need > >> to be pulled with a chain? Where are you broke down?!!!! > >>> I probably deserve to be dragged by a chain but we wont "go there". > > > >> Well, Now i can see why you are upset- it's hard to sell something > >> you love. > > Naw, selling is all relative. I'm selling because I have relatives (new > > baby, > > 2.5yrold daughter and Mom is at home 24/7. > > > >> A Euro Winnie? > >> Will you ever understand us Vanagonuts? Or shall we ever understand you > >> winabagels? > >>> Been there, done that. We had an aircooled '83 Westy that we loved > >>> but sold > > for some stupid reason. Oh yeah, sold it for a '88 Buick Century > > because it had > > A/C. Sold THAT a year later to finance a 54 Barndoor. > > > > My Fantasy Vanagon would be a rolling HAM shack/Silver Mist Blue 50 mpg > > 85mph > > 5spd plus low(s) Synchro Double Cab with A/C, a reliable over powered > > engine > > and totally maxed out ala South Afrikaner on steroids. > > [bullbars-racks-16"whls-racks-lights all over the place, grab > > bars-skids etc. > > locking diffs]-WITH a 10 year 100,000 mile-end to-end warranty and > > ultimate > > sound system to include XM tunes. Oh yeah, and that I can afford it. > > Leave the > > Euro-Winnie to Mom and the kids. Miss the splittie? um, give me the > > money that > > I'm asking, a year to think about it, something close to my fantasy > > Vanagon and > > see how I feel. > > -ellis > > > > > > __________________________________________________ > > Do You Yahoo!? > > Yahoo! Health - Feel better, live better > > http://health.yahoo.com > > > > > Volkswagen camper rentals in Hawaii > Hawaii—Oahu—Maui > > Imua Camper Company > http://www.imua-tour.com > 45 Shipman Street, Hilo HI 96720 > Reservations: admin@imua-tour.com -or- 1(877)773-4682 > Hilo office (phone/fax) 1(808)935-6241 >