Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2002, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 29 Jul 2002 09:17:06 -0700
From:         Todd Last <Rubatoguy@MINDSPRING.COM>
Subject:      Re: dripping AC, part 2
Comments: To: Fredrich Hesterberg <FredsVW@webtv.net>

Be happy to:

In the very back of the camper, facing the rear window, there is a small place with a grill - I think this may be the air intake for the A/C. If you remove this grill (two philips screws) you have limited access to the A/C area. Shine a light in here and you can check if the tubes have come off the plastic tray or not. If you have small arms or fabricate a tool, you can. One other thing to mention is that quite often the black foam wrapped around the coils will decompose and clog up the hoses.

If need be, and you have to lower the A/C cabinet, you are in for a job. More tedious than difficult. It is really meant as a two person job - mainly because one person gets to hold up the a/c coils while the other removes the cabinet. But I was able to do it myself - so it is possible as a one-person job. So while you have it off I would suggest also performing the following.

* Install larger stereo speakers and consider building a rear enclosure for them so they are not open to the A/C area. * Remove all the crumbly black foam off the A/C coils * A listee mentioned they were able to better engineer the airflow guides around the a/c fans for better output. * Add some B-Quiet or Dynamat to help cut down on the noise. * Add an overhead rear-compartment light * Someone mentioned wiring a relay for the a/c fans and using larger gauge wire to help bring more available curren to them.

The point here is that If you only want to remove the a/c cabinent once - so do as much as you can while you have the opportunity.

Todd

'88 Westy