Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2002, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 31 Jul 2002 10:33:26 EDT
From:         Ben T <BenTbtstr8@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: question about wider tires
Comments: To: icculus22420@YAHOO.COM

In a message dated 7/31/02 6:54:06 AM Pacific Daylight Time, icculus22420@YAHOO.COM writes:

<< Good morning, I know that a lot of people put taller tires on their Vanagons (going from 14-15in) But I wanted to put wider tires on mine. Is there anything special that I need to know to do that? I heard that I will have to have my speedometer adjusted, and some sort of legnthing done to the axles or whatever holds the wheels on. I haven't actually gone to a tire place for their opinion yet, I thought someone on the list might have done this and might know instead. >>

Tracy,

Wider doesn't necessarily mean lower. If you get the proper tire size, you can go to a wider tire with the same total height as stock. This is usually accomplished by going to a plus 1 size and up. For instance going from a 70 series tire to a 60 series tires but going to a larger rim. I have 15" X 8" rims with 215/60/15 tires on them. Outside diameter is approximately the same as a 185/70/14 tire on the old steel rims. No major difference in the speedo reading.

Speedo readings can be affected by even so much as a tire brand change even in the same quoted tires size. You can always have them calibrated to your application. However, they will be affected again even by normal tire wear. Unless you like using your van to calibrate radar guns, think about this last.

No changes to the axle are necessary to put wider wheels on. You are probably thinking of the stud and wheel bolt changes when going from a steel rim to alloy wheels. Steel rims have a thinner mounting pad than alloy wheels. So if you use the bolts/studs in use for steel rims on the alloy wheels, they will not have enough threads (turns of the bolt) to hold the wheel on.

Anyway, it;s early morning and I am rambling w/o my coffee... Pmail me if you have any other specific questions.

Go to my wheels page if you are curious about wheel matters. It's at:

http://members.aol.com/bentbtstr8/vanagoncafewheelspage1.html

BenT <A HREF="http://hometown.aol.com/bentbtstr8/myhomepage/index.html">Vanagon Cafe</A>