Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2002, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 31 Jul 2002 08:37:52 -0600
From:         Simon <simon@FARRSIDE.NET>
Subject:      Re: WBX bashing

On Wednesday, July 31, 2002, at 04:12 AM, Andrew Grebneff wrote:

>> thanx for your opinion but like others before you, your position is >> ripe >> with lots of technical ignorance. The 2.1L WBX has enjoyed as much as >> much >> as 1 million kilometers of VW testing and with required proper >> maintenance >> has proven it's unique design. > > I think the sheer number of leaking WBXs is strong indication that > there is a serious problem with the design (likewise the propensity > of the 2.1s to throw rods). > > No other 80s engine that I know of needs constant painstaking care re > coolant. Modern vehicles are supposed to be largely maintenance-free; > this places the WBX in the "old-tech" basket. > --

Absolutely. Keep it in the family, and compare it to VW's "real" engines- the Inline 4's. They've got longevity, reliability, reasonable power, and a design that appears to have been thought through properly. Witness: - a real head gasket - a cooling system that is largely self-contained and easy to work on - fewer potential oil leak spots - greater tolerance for improper coolant (still not a good idea to USE the wrong stuff, but you won't ruin your life)

Let's re-visit the cooling system design- and for that matter, we can expand our comparison to include the old aircooled's. Every part of the old wheezer's cooling design was thought through with meticulous care, and the only real change necessary was moving to the doghouse oil cooler. Likewise, the I-4's system stays within the engine except to go to the radiator, the heater, and the expansion tank. Then you have the wasserboxer... WHY are there external hoses just to go from one part of the engine to another? WHAT is the deal with that external "ring" around the engine compartment? And WTF is the deal with using flat head gaskets?

The impression I get from the wasserboxer is that it was a final bone thrown to the flat-motor engineers at VW (Thanks, fellas, you've been great!), with a technically incompetent or inexperienced oversight committee thrown on top of them. YES, the engine moves our big, heavy vehicles reasonably well, YES, they can last a surprisingly long time, but NO, there should not be so many ways for them to have such a quick & surprising death. That's one last nice feature of VW's other engines- they tend to WEAR OUT instead of having a catastrophe. Heck, even a casually maintained aircooled will give you ample warning before biting the big schnitzel. I'm done ranting now. And I truly appreciate the fact that the motor in my van seems to be the original one at 166K miles, and seems like it will run long enough to give me time to prep my 3A... but it feels like living on death row.