Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2002, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 31 Jul 2002 11:06:18 -0400
From:         Jay L Snyder <Jay.L.Snyder@USA.DUPONT.COM>
Subject:      Re: WBX bashing
Comments: To: Simon <simon@FARRSIDE.NET>

Talk to some of the original owners. A lot of you are buying worn out vehicles and then complaining about problems. I didn't know how terrible these things were until after I joined this list! The '86 I purchased new had over 138,000 miles on it when I sold it and it still ran great. I changed the oil regularly, along with the coolant, trans oil, fuel filters, etc... I only sold it because I had just bought an '85 camper. Many VW owners are cheap. They scrimp on maintenance. This '85 was not looked after. The motor was shot at 125,000 miles. I am amazed it lasted this long. The problem was not the head gaskets, Vanagon syndrome, or the P-rated tires! Low oil pressure was its demise. The simplest of all maintenance items--regular oil changes. These vehicles are "cockroach" tough if you look after them. How many '85 Chrysler mini-vans are still on the road? I am looking forward to at least 150,000 miles from my new Boston Bob engine.

Jay