Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2002, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 31 Jul 2002 11:54:19 -0400
From:         "Warner, Jeff (DSIO-MS)" <Jeff.Warner@DSIO.DLA.MIL>
Subject:      Re: vanagon Digest - 30 Jul 2002 - Special issue (#2002-910)

Jim,

If I'm not mistaken your problem is a leaking torque converter. I've not experienced this in a Vanagon before but your symptoms are typical. The torque converter leaks down over time and then takes a few seconds to fill up once the internals start pumping ATF. Without fluid in the torque converter you have insufficient weight to create torque. If the problem is worse after the van sits for days versus hours then that probably confirms it. Your choices would include replacing the torque converter or just living with it.

As for the performance discussion, my '87 GL takes off like a rocket (comparitively slow rocket of course) whereas my '86 Westy is noticeably slower off the line. I'm inclined to attribute the difference to the performance of the engine. The '87 will run at an indicated 75-80 all day long without even breathing hard. I'm constantly having to get out of it when I find myself going too fast. (I know we should all have such problems with these vehicles but that's just the way she runs.) The '86 has a hard time just getting up to 70. It's not a weight thing because the Westy is a base model so it's weight is not that different from the GL.

Jeff Warner Galloway, OH '86 Wolfsburg Westfalia "Barry" '87 GL Weekender "Van"

Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2002 22:06:02 EDT From: Jim Morgan <JM060356@AOL.COM> Subject: Automatic trans hesitation.

Hellow all, A interesting thing happned te other day. After sitting all night , hoped in the van and the transmission shifted into gear ok but when i accelerated it would barly move. I let it sit at idle for about three minutes then it would work normaly. All fluids are at proper level.( automatic trans fluil,final drive ect...) The outside temp was at 75' F Once at operating no problems. I have 198,500+ miles on the original engine and automatic trans in my 86GL . Any ideas, coments, PRAYERS?

Jim Morgan 86GL "Breadbox"