Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2002, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 31 Jul 2002 15:55:56 -0400
From:         Colin Stanfield <cstan@IFP.ORG>
Subject:      Re: WBX bashing
Comments: cc: David.Currie@nexinnovations.com

While growing up, my dad drove my brother and I around in a '73 Westy (I traveled at 7 years old to Florida from Atlantic Canada for some hippy convention, learned to play poker on the fold out table and proudly claimed the pop-up bed as my own). When I was 18 my brother and I bought a '78 2.0 L bus which I later took sole ownership of and spent several summers carrying around surfboards, mountain bikes, cute surf guards, and pink flamingos. Later my brother bought a '69 Westy which he drove all over the US, Mexico and Canada. It was decorated with the abstract painting of our artist mom. Shortly thereafter there was a VW bus eruption in our neighborhood. Rasta busses, deadhead busses, more surf busses, green busses with Thrush Headers running straight out of the manifold. It was wonderful (This was Prince Edward Island, Canada not Berkeley, CA).

I've been through it all: Anticipating wind shifts as you come out from behind a forest (Just steer into it!), Jump-starting the van yourself by pushing the van with your head on the dash while operating the pedals with your hands, utterly, and completely freezing while driving in Canadian winters without a shred of heat, the look on the muffler shop guy's face as he see yet another of these vans trying to get their exhaust systems fixed for the advertised price of $39.99 (see above Thrush Header solution). Bragging about how early V-dubs had reverse geared lower than 1st so that if you couldn't make it up a hill in first gear, you could always ascend backwards.

I now drive an '85 Vanagon which I bought for $400, sight unseen on Ebay. I've got 4 Audi 5000 rims in the back ready for Agilis. I hope to someday get the power steering to work and fix the AC.

If you don't want to muck about with your car, why would you drive a VW anyway? It's about the vibe and the feeling of gleeful satisfaction you get from keeping a old, and funky vehicle on the road (which when coupled with the aforementioned rejection of the materialist/consumption driven/disposable nature of mainstream car ownership and the slightly subversive history of the VW van in general contributes to a subtle, personal anti-establishment statement). More imprtantly, it's also about the wave you give and receive when coming across another van(agon) on the highway.

Peace.

Colin