Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2002, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 31 Jul 2002 17:48:11 -0700
From:         mark drillock <drillock@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: Tiico - Welding Engine Mount
Comments: To: Derek Krueger <vanagon@DRKRU.COTSE.NET>

There are 2 different welding jobs at issue here.

One is the lack of the metal reinforcing plate on the body where the rear end of the carrier bars bolt on. There should be a welded on plate which also should have the third, upper bolt hole for the carrier bar. All Vanagons come with only the 2 lower holes present and bolting the carrier bar only to these results in deformation that would be prevented if the proper reinforcing plate was welding in place. Diesel Vanagons have the reinforcing plate welded to the body.

The second welding job under discussion is to the left side carrier bar itself. At the end of the carrier bar is a rubber bushing between the bar and it's end mounting plate. Some left side carrier bars have a solid welded on end plate. People are proposing to weld up the rubber mounted end one too to get rid of the rubber mount and it's flex. Why the TIICO comes with one side solid and one rubber mounted is beyond me.

For reference, the 1982 diesel Vanagon engine carrier bars were rubber mounted at both ends and on both sides. The 1983 and later diesel bars were solid welded at both ends and on both sides. Both types still had a main large rubber engine mount at the center of each carrier bar though they differ slightly.

Hope this helps.

Mark

Derek Krueger wrote: > > For those wondering why weld, this is where I am coming from, but I could > quite likely be wrong and would like to know if so. > > One of the most common complaints I've heard from other Tiico owners is > that the vibration around 3000 RPMs (and noise) is bad. Now, I would not > say that mine is bad, but definately noticable. I have heard that the big > problem is with the engine supports, specificaly the left (drivers or port > side) one. The left support is different from the right in that it has > rubber mounts (am I wrong here?). Additionaly, other Tiico owners are > noticing a problem with this mount bending at the frame. The proposed > solution to both problems being to weld it solid. The specifics of this I > do not know and thus was asking the list for them. > > >From the archives, it appears that this mount, rather than reducing > vibration, actually ampliphies it. The right support is solidly mounted, so > why not the left? > > Any further input is appreciated. > > Thanks, > Derek > > > Why weld it? Our TiiCo engine was floating around on too soft mounts > > also. Basically we immobilized all 3 by cutting hard rubber to fit in > > the gaps of the mounts, then jamming it in. The rubber came from a > > replacement boat trailer roller gotten at a marine store. > > > > If you weld, it's very likely that you'll create a direct path to the > > interior for big vibrations. Also, wouldn't welding burn the rubber > > that's already in the mounts? > > > > Gary > > ----- Original Message ----- > > From: "Derek Krueger" <vanagon@DRKRU.COTSE.NET> > > To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> > > Sent: Tuesday, July 30, 2002 1:11 PM > > Subject: Tiico - Welding Engine Mount > > > > > >> Can some please post directions that I could give to a welder to have > >> my engine mount welded solid? Or, is it as simple as telling him/her > >> to weld the drivers side-rear solid? > >> > >> Thanks, > >> Derek