Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2002, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 29 Jul 2002 16:37:38 -0600
From:         Gary Shea <shea@GTSDESIGN.COM>
Subject:      Re: diesel conversion
Comments: To: James B Robinson <jr@RATWERKS.COM>

[2002-07-29 12:41 -0700] James B Robinson (jr@RATWERKS.COM) wrote: > Volks, > > I've gotten some great feedback on my GreaseVan project. A thing several > of my fellow Californian's have mentioned is the potential grief from the > DMV over emissions tests. > > My rough plan is to get a late model gas powered bus and get some time on > the smog clock (these are good for at least a year?) Do the diesel > conversion and follow that pretty quickly with the vegetable oil add-on. > Then, next time smog check is due have it tested running on SVO while > explaining none of its exotic nature to the guy at the check station (on > the theory that often, the less said, the better.) > > I'm not really from CA, so maybe I am just way naive on these things; I > moved here from Texas where stuff may be a bit looser. Is this likely to > work, or just completely blow up in my face? I'm not particulary averse > to pursuing proper channels if need be, but neither am I averse to coloring > 'outside the lines' as it were.

> Reasons for starting with gas include getting a bus with fewer years and > newer features as well as getting the interior laid out just the way I want > it from the factory. This would also let me spread the cost of the project > over time, something that'll make it sit a lot better with my wife. > > Project notes at: > > http://ratwerks.com/zope/wiki/GreaseVan > > -- > [ Jim Robinson -- System Administrator -- ratwerks.com ] > I am a boomer. My generation looked nuclear annihilation > in the eye and said "No thanks, I'd rather drive a BMW."

Hi James --

I have done a bit of research here in Utah about this kind of swap, and the federal rules are pretty clear, and inspectors I spoke with seemed fairly direct about where they'd bend and where they wouldn't. The most _exact_ rendering seems to be that the only fully legal swap is with an engine that was originally available here in the US in the vehicle/model year in question. The inspectors indicated to me that newer, cleanly installed, engines would be tolerated if the purpose did not appear to be hot-rodding. With a vanagon and a diesel you're probably ok there ;)

The next trick is the gas -> diesel swap. Emissions testing is very different for gas and diesel engines, so you can't simply "go get tested" with a diesel when your title says it's gas, the test person will go looking for a spark plug wire to hook up to the machine and will freak out when they can't find one. There's no way to bluff through that one, as far as I know. Here in Utah at least you have to get a new title for the vehicle in order to do the gas -> diesel swap. It's not illegal or discouraged, it's just a new title, but to get it you have to go through the federal/local inspection regime.

The bottom line is if you get a newer vehicle you'll have to get a newer diesel. If you are willing to go for a TDI of more recent vintage than the van (and I wouldn't stint on the electronics... it's just _begging_ for trouble in California!), or maybe the Eurovan 2.4 NA diesel engine (I'm not sure what years they were available in the US), then you'll probably have no problem.

Good luck!

Gary