Vanagon EuroVan
Previous (more recent) messageNext (less recent) messagePrevious (more recent) in topicNext (less recent) in topicPrevious (more recent) by same authorNext (less recent) by same authorPrevious page (August 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 3 Aug 2002 13:00:16 EDT
From:         Ben T <BenTbtstr8@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: lugs and studs for alloy  LONG- Project & quasi TRIP REPORT

<< The brakes kit comes with a hub using studs instead of lugbolts and a separate brake rotor. I have been told that this arrangement is like a syncro, but I have not verified that. The studs that came with the brake upgrade hub were long enough(~42mm I think) to work with the CV-900s. >>

I will confirm this much. The SA big brakes utilizes a separate hub rotor assembly as opposed to the one piece rotor hub in 2wd Vanagons. And let me clarify the similarities to the Syncro. The Syncro hub is slightly larger. That causes some fittng problems as John Wessels at European Motorsport pointed out. The SA big brake rotor is actually designed for the 2wd A Caravelle. Of course no fitting problems on 2wd. I not only have of these big brake kits on hand, I also own a real 16" Syncro for comparison. The 16" hub is identical to the 14" Syncro hub. For reference I had one of those things too. Much of this has been detailed at great length in both the Syncro List as well as the Vanagon List. Anyone desiring further details on the big brake fitting and 16" arms/CV discussions should start there.

For those interested, I have a pic of the SA 2wd hub next a stock rear stud and one of the studs that I sourced from a local vendor. Incidentally as I posted earlier these studs were cheaper at $2 each. That's at least 50% cheape than the Sway-a-away studs mentioned earlier.

http://members.aol.com/realsf/images/studcomparo.jpg

Note that the splined section of the front hubs are quite different.

BenT <A HREF="http://hometown.aol.com/bentbtstr8/myhomepage/index.html">Vanagon Cafe</A>