Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 1 Aug 2002 21:02:52 -0600
From:         Andrew Fox <afox@CNR.COLOSTATE.EDU>
Subject:      Re: Normal 2.1L opreating temp
Comments: To: Jfp w/2 wbxs <jfp7@hotmail.com>

These gauge positions are all relative. As many list members have reported including Ben Huot's post a day or two ago the temp gauge is simply unreliable as an accurate indicator of the absolute engine temperature. It can be used as a relative indicator though. Seems there are only 2 ways to really know what temp your van is running at. One is to install a better temp gauge and the other is to use an Infrared remote thermometer gun which is what the mechanics use. Apparently VW has changed the specs of the temp sensor several times confusing the hell out of everyone. Also the electrical connections/inst cluster is prone to problems resulting in inaccurate temperatures being reported by the gauge. In short the vanagon temp gauge is a POS and should not be trusted except as a relative "warning system" that something might be wrong.

Thanks,

Andrew Fox -I'm one of the idiots that trusted the vanagon temp sensor and after replacing it 3 times and finally believed that the system was overheating and spent $500 replacing every cooling system part finally to give up and bring it to a mechanic who spent 5 minutes checking its temperatue with an IR gun and determined that in fact it was never overheating.